Is there anyone else that still experiences burning pain after post lumpectomy w/ radition?

By September 28, 2009 - 11:07am

I am three years out from lumpectomy with radiation. I have had intermittant burning sensation since the procedure but recently I have really been experiencing intense burning pain. It has been so much that I have trouble sleeping because of it. Also, it is uncomfortable to have my arm resting on that side so I have begun holding my arm away from that side. I wonder if it could be caused from holding my 6 month old granddaughter. I have been afraid to mention it to my radiation oncologist because I feel like such a wimp.

Dear Grammyoftwo

Thanks so much for your question and welcome!

Congratulations on beating the cancer - I assume you are cancer free now, if it has been three years?

With regard to the burning sensation after your lumpectomy and radiation, it may be due to damaged nerves from your procedures. Or you may still have inflammation. There have been other women on our site who have similar stories- you can read their stories (and some answers) here : http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/i-still-have-pain-my-left-breast-and-i-had-2-lumpectomies-2006-followed-radiation-why-

Alison also spoke on this thread about Post Breast Therapy Pain Syndrome is something you should look into - you can find more about it here : http://www.cancersupportivecare.com/neuropathicpain.php

Please bring this up to your oncologist.

With regard to being a wimp - pardon?! You are a breast cancer survivor which puts you firmly in the "non wimp" category. Pain is pain - and no-one should have to live in pain (especially if it stops you from sleeping, that is unacceptable). You have every right and reason to talk about this. I promise you that your doctor would not permit himself to live in this kind of pain - nor should you.

Please schedule an appointment to work out how you will deal with this pain effectively. You are not alone - up to 30% of women who survived breast cancer have Post Breast Therapy Pain Syndrome

One other thing to note (and not to alarm you) but this pain may not be connected with your surgery/treatments and needs further investigation.

Will you contact your oncologist? You have survived so much so it would be terrible if you felt like this pain was some kind of price to pay - it isn't and there are treatments available. Please update us and we wish you the very best!

I have put a call in to my radiation oncologist nurse but as of yet she has not returned my call. I will call again tomorrow if I don't hear from her. Thanks for the information. It is good to know that I am not alone in this. Your words of encouragement are appreciated.

Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer Guide