Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Is there a cure for dark circles under my eyes?

I suffer from dark circles under my eyes. Some days are worse than others - ie; days I haven't had much sleep.

But even when I sleep well and eat well and am drinking plenty of water, I still have them. I tried Vitamin K creams (someone told me they work) and other things but nothing works. My mother also has the same dark circles.

Is this just genetic? Is it a characteristic of my face I just need to live with?

Putting concealer under my eyes works faily well but I still see the circles in photos of me so nothing has been truly successful.

A dermatologist once told me there's no cure but I'm hoping to reach out to someone who has found one!

fitDivajill

Under eye circles could be a sign of iron deficiency. You may want to have your iron count checked. Foods rich in iron are lean red meats, most types of seafood,green leafy vegetables,dried beans, nuts, dried fruits, fortified foods like cereals, breads and oats, liver (yuk!), egg yolks, chicken and turkey. That is just a quick list. Let me know if you want a more detailed one. Hope this helps. jill

fitDivajill

alysiak

Off the top of my head (I'm blaming menopausal short term memory loss), I can't remember the terminology for the type of surgery my daughter will be undergoing to correct a structural defect around her nose. Her sinus passages have been blocked, probably since childhood, and no one ever told us. She has had dark circles all her life that we attributed to her terrible sleep habits. Little did we know that her terrible sleep habits were because she wasn't able to breathe properly.

Her doctor said she may never be able to get rid of the darkness under her eyes because the skin has been "bruised" for so long. We'll see what happens. Her surgery isn't until August, so we wait.

Marie-Claire

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those creams!

I have had dark circles since I was a child and am always on a mission to get them 'cured'!

Tina Tran

Several factors could be contributing to your dark under-eye circles and include bone structure, fat loss, too much sleep, pregnancy and vision problems.

There are a few ways to ‘treat’ under-eye circles including camouflaging with foundation and taking your sunglasses off only after you have gone inside. Apparently, a sudden transition from shade to light can darken that under-eye area.

And you’re right Vitamin K creams are supposed to work but you may also keep an eye out for Vitamin C, elastin, collagen, AHAs and Kinetin. You may have some luck with products such as Reviderm, Niltan, Kojic and Banatan. (Source: Prevention.com)

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: