Is there a link between Bursitis and under active thyroid?

I suffer from repeated trochanteric bursitis in both hips which causes difficulty in sleeping as I cant sleep on my back or front. I am on 200mg of thyroxine a day as well as other +-medication for high blood pressure and irregular heart rythm. I am 52 and 13 stone, 5`4". I drive part time for a living and dont do much excersise as it makes it worse, so i dont know whats causing it except possibly the medication i am on. Sometimes it doesnt trouble me although I can always feel the sore spot on the outside of my hips, on the bone, like a bruise would feel. I have tried Ibuprofen but it doesnt help. To conclude, its worse at night, doesnt bother me much through the day once ive been up a couple of hours. I have a deep memory foam mattress which is immensly comfortable, yet still my hips hurt.I do use a pillow between legs at night. I have lost a stone and am continually losing weight to help it in case thats the cause. Please can you help?

I've had trouble with bursitis in my left shoulder off and on for years. I had my thyroid removed in 2000. (The doctors thought it was cancer at first, but it turned out to be Hashimotos disease. Unfortunately, my parathyroids were also damaged during the surgery.) Now I have bursitis in both shoulders. I went to the orthopedic doctor this week and got cortisone shots in both shoulders. I had cortisone shots in my left shoulder and therapy abut 6 years ago. Anyway, the doctor told me this time about the connection between thyroid disease and bursitis. This was the first time I had heard that.
I also noticed that you mentioned an irregular heartbeat. In the last few years I've had episodes of rapid heart beat. My heart rate would go up to 175 and stay that way for hours. I had to go on a beta blocker. I wonder, is this related to the thyroid disease, too?

Hi Anon - Thanks for your question. For those who don't know, trochanteric bursitis is inflammation of the bursa (fluid-filled sac near a joint) at the outside (lateral) point of the hip known as the greater trochanter. When this bursa becomes irritated or inflamed, it causes pain in the hip. This is a common cause of hip pain.

According to the Cleveland Clinic, thyroid disease can be a cause. Here's the full statement on causes:

Trochanteric bursitis can result from one or more of the following events:
* Injury to the point of the hip. This can include falling onto the hip, bumping the hip into an object, or lying on one side of the body for an extended period.
* Play or work activities that cause overuse or injury to the joint areas. Such activities might include running up stairs, climbing, or standing for long periods of time.
* Incorrect posture. This condition can be caused by scoliosis, arthritis of the lumbar (lower) spine, and other spine problems.
* Stress on the soft tissues as a result of an abnormal or poorly positioned joint or bone (such as leg length differences or arthritis in a joint).
* Other diseases or conditions. These may include rheumatoid arthritis, gout, psoriasis, thyroid disease or an unusual drug reaction. In rare cases, bursitis can result from infection.
* Previous surgery around the hip or prosthetic implants in the hip.
* Hip bone spurs or calcium deposits in the tendons that attach to the trochanter.
Bursitis is more common in women and in middle-aged or elderly people. Beyond the situations mentioned above, in many cases, the cause of trochanteric bursitis is unknown.

Anon, I've had bursitis - in my shoulder - and tried to tough it out with rest and over the counter medications, and it didn't work. I ended up seeing my doctor and getting a cortisone injection with provided both immediate and long term relief. You may want to look into what options are available to you. Here's what the Cleveland Clinic suggests:

Treatment goals include reducing pain and inflammation, preserving mobility, and preventing disability and recurrence.

Treatment recommendations may include a combination of rest, splints, heat, and cold application. More advanced treatment options include:

* Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen or naproxen
* Corticosteroid injections given by your health care provider. Injections work quickly to decrease the inflammation and pain.
* Physical therapy that includes range of motion exercises and splinting. This can be very beneficial.
* Surgery, when other treatments are not effective.

You may also find EmpowHER's reference page on bursitis helpful as well as the Cleveland Clinic reference on trochanteric bursitis:

Good luck, I hope you get some relief soon. Bursitis is very painful. Pat