Think I have arthritis or is it Lack of Estrogen???

It seems to travel from my hands to my knee to my hip. It comes and goes. Someone said it might be arthritis or lack of estrogen, which I've been told can do the same thing if you don't take enough. It masks itself as arthritis when it's not. I am on HRT because of total hysterectomy. Can you help me? Thanks

Since you are on HRT, a lack of hormones (including estrogen) should not really be an issue but you can have your levels tested to be sure.

Arthritis becomes more common as a person gets older. The two most common types of arthritis are osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA). The National Institutes of Health define OA is the gradual deterioration of cartilage and overgrowth of bone most commonly due to wear and tear, and RA as the inflammation of a joint’s connective tissues (eg. the synovial membranes) leading to the destruction of the articular cartilage.

Symptoms of Arthritis

“Symptoms of OA include:

• Stiffness on awakening or after prolonged rest

• Pain in a joint during or after use

• Discomfort in a joint before or during a change in weather

• Swelling and loss of flexibility in a joint

• Bony lumps (called Heberden and Bouchard nodes) that develop on the end or middle joint of the fingers” (1)

“Symptoms of RA include:

• Pain and swelling in any joint, but usually symmetrically (if one joint is affected, the other side will soon follow)

• Overall aching or stiffness, especially after sleeping or periods of motionlessness

• Joints that are swollen, painful, and warm to the touch during the initial attack and ensuing flare-ups.

You didn't mention your symptoms in your post. Can you tell us what your symptoms are? And please make sure to discuss this with your doctor.

We hope to hear back from you!

Arthritis Guide