Thryoid nodule and abnormally HIGH T3 with normal tsh and normal T4-so confused!

I'm wondering if anyone might know what could possibly cause T3 levels be extremely high (alongside NORMAL TSH and NORMAL T4 levels) presented with a thyroid nodule and both hyperthyroid AND hypothyroid symptoms? I have not taken any thyroid meds or anything that could affect T3 levels...Dr thought it could be a "hot" autonomous nodule but everything I have read (in books and and online) states that tsh must also be abnormal for that diagnosis yet in my case tsh tests have shown as completely normal (last week 2.93 retested this week at 1.84-perhaps it is dropping slowly? but I have been able to feel the difficulty swallowing from the nodule for many weeks) So Im a bit lost with this-any advice would be so wonderful!

Thanks for your question - it does seen like quite the puzzler.

T3 (and T4) are your thyroid hormones. T3 is the stronger and more active of the two.

"Normal" levels of TSH vary from 0.3 to 3.0. so your level of 1.84 is very much in the 'normal' range. (these "normal" ranges keep changing though, based on ongoing research but yours is definitely in the normal range).

But your drop in ranges was fairly clear in just one week.

T3 is different in that one fifth of it comes straight from the thyroid gland and four fifths of it are actually converted to T3...from T4! You haven't said what your T3 level is? The "normal" range for this is a bit unclear, some experts believe that normal ranges can be from 3.5-7.7 to much, much lower.

What are your T3 numbers?

Thyroid Conditions