Community

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines

ask: Thyroid nodule - could it be responsible for hot flashes

By brileo

Have suffered really aggressive hot flashes for 13 years, recently I was diagnosed with a "Thyroid nodule" and am now wondering if this could be the cause.
I have been taking estrogen (don't know why, but Doc says "stay on it", I am also Diabetic and have not yet met a Doctor (Endocrinologist) that I am comfortable with - between these two problems I spend most of my time indoors sweating and obsessing over what I eat. I also have Barrett's Esophagus
I am about 15lbs overweight, and quite fit.
Medications include Metformin, Gliperamide Nexium, Estrogen, celexa.

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

brileo - Thanks for your question and seeking information about your health.

Hot flashes are not a symptom typically found in patients who have a thyroid nodule. Do you have a gynecologist who can help you with this situation?

The thyroid gland plays a key role in how our bodies function. It regulates body metabolism, blood calcium levels, energy, excess fats, hormones, oxygen, weight loss.

When doctors use the term "thyroid nodule" to refer to an abnormal growth in the thyroid gland. These are found more often than you might think - the diagnosis of a thyroid nodule is the most common endocrine problem in the United States.

The next step is to determine what has caused the growth. The majority of thyroid nodules are benign, but about 10 per cent are cancerous. In some cases, they're caused by a lack of iodine in the diet. There also are certain genes that may be involved in the development of nodules in some individuals.

The following link from the Mayo Clinic provides greater detail on the various types of thyroid nodules and treatments. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thyroid-nodules/DS00491

Please keep in touch and let us know what you learn when you meet with an endocrinologist for your thyroid condition. We wish you the best possible outcome.
Pat

What do you think is the most important health test for women?:

Did you know that your Internet Browser is out of date?

We're sorry to inform you that you're using a really old web browser and we are unable to support it anymore. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below. -The EmpowHER Development Team

By closing this window, you acknowledge your experience on this website may be degraded

Close this window