Tips to Receive a Healthy Spa Treatment and Pedicure

By April 1, 2008 - 3:17pm

Happy Spring Time! Tips to Receiving a Healthy Pedicure

With two self-employed adults in my household, we don’t usually “indulge” in spa treatments on a regular basis, but I do make sure to save some time and money for my annual springtime pedicure!

Here are some helpful tips on what to look for in your next spa treatment, to make sure your next pedicure is a healthy one:

1. Be aware of potential risks and be a consumer advocate for yourself by asking how the salon cleans and disinfects foot spas (EPA-registered hospital disinfectant should be used between each customer and nightly).

2. Bacteria and microorganisms have been found in “footspas”, and can lead to skin infections. Because these microorganisms enter from the water through broken skin, be sure to reschedule your spa treatment if you have a cut, abrasion, scratch or poison ivy on your legs or feet.
3. Protect your skin. It is recommended that you do not shave 24 hours before a pedicure, as this can cause minor cuts in your skin.
4. Chronic conditions, like diabetes, will require extra precautions. Any break in the skin, from trimming of a callous or cuticle, can increase risk of foot infection.
5. Overall, look around for general cleanliness and trust your instinct/feelings if the spa is well maintained, healthy and safe.

Anyone have any tips to add?

Anyone seen this commercial on tv?

I bought one for $10 at Linens N Things and love it. Great for those of us with leathery hooves!

Everyone but my DH goes shoeless in my house, as well (he seems to think the rules don't apply to him, lol), and I run several miles/week, so my foot callouses are persistent, too. To deal with them, I keep a double sided pedicure paddle in the shower and diligently use it. A pumice stone works well, but tends to crumble, after a while.

Exfoliating and moisturizing foot creams are also part of my ritual.

There is no way a razor will touch my feet, lol!

I have to say I get a French pedi every 3 weeks, year round. I don't like shopping for clothes, shoes, purses...I'm one of those female freaks of nature that doesn't like shopping! (Unless we're talking home decor or art, now that's another story) So it is pretty much my only indulgence. Anyway, one thing I have read is that it may be an idea to ask your pedicurist not to turn the jets on in your foot bath. Since any bacteria leftover tends to cling and get stuck in the jets, it gushes out onto your skin when the jets are turned on.

The other thing is the razor. I call it the 'hoof hacker'! It is a blade used to remove calluses. Most nail salons are not supposed to use them, it against health regulations due to the danger of the razor. But I have to say I have indulged. Since we wear no shoes in our home, I tend to have bad calluses and I have them removed every 3 weeks. I keep telling myself to stop allowing it but it also feels great! If you do allow it, make sure a brand new razor is opened up right in front of you and thrown away after.

Thanks for these tips. With a few spa horror stories floating about, I've been rather hesitant to indulge in what I used to consider a necessity for maintaining one's sanity.

But, lately, I've been hearing about therapeutic detox foot baths. Have you heard of them? Supposedly the foot bath draws toxins from your body and the colors in the water correspond to the organ that is being detoxed.

Is this for real?