Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: Toddler limping and knee or ankle "giving out" without pain, redness or swelling. What could it be?

By Free2Bme

My friend's 2 year old was playing on some slippery surface (a "sprinkler park"), and fell. She was not concerned (2 year olds fall all the time, and he had no visible scratches) at first, but when he would try to walk, his knee (or hip or ankle?) would kind of "buckle" underneath him. He is not in any pain; no reddness or swelling either. He is jumping and squatting, but walking strangely. The most noticeable was an hour later: he went to kick a ball with his right leg, while standing on his left leg...and his left leg just "gave out". We can't notice any deformities or anything.

We called the nurse-on-call after-hours (it's a Sunday), and were told to do the "wait and see". Give him ibuprofen if it swells. He is eating and sleeping fine. If he still has trouble tomorrow morning, my friend will take him to the doctor.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Nurse said if strain, sprain or dislocation, there would be pain and he would not voluntarily move the injured leg. He is not doing this for attention, so can rule that out, too. What injury could this be, without pain?

Anonymous

my child is 11 years old in last year her knee popped out of place twice and this year it has popped out of place one time she complains it hurt almost everyday and i know she's not trying to get attention because she can't really bend her knees for a long time or squat for a long time what's wrong. ?

Anonymous

When my daughter was a toddler she had fallen off of a kitchen chair. Shortly after she was limping. She had no swelling or bruising and no pain. I called the pediatrician a couple of days later and was told to go ahead to the ER.. They did x-rays and found that she had the beginning stages of Legg-Calve'-Perthes Disease.. It is not life threatening, but some kids need surgery to correct it.

Jessica Johanning

My daughter is two yrs old on sept 25 2013 she went into the hospital for a replacement surgery walking normal when she left the hospital she could barely walk she doesn't really bare no weight on her right leg her feet turn I her hand are above her head for balance her back arches and her right leg bows out she can't run no more she cant go play outside shes seen neurologist they ran MRIs on her brain and spine but said everything is normal so they put her into physical therapy but now the physical therapist said she's doesnt need physical therapy obviously no one knows whats wrong with her we need help badly

Anonymous

I have a 2yr daughter she went into the hospital sept.25th 2013 walking normally before her replacement surgery now after the surgery she can barely walk for 5 mins she arches her back doesnt put a lot of weight on her right leg her feet curve in and her right leg bows out shes in physical therapy but the therapist doesn't know what it is but says she doesn't need physical therapy that its more serious but she's had MRIs done on her brain and spine they said there's nothing there and doesn't have a clue what it is we need help finding out what's wrong

Anonymous

Hi my daughter is also in similar situation, her knee gives out.she
4 1/2 years old. She goes for physical therapy twice a week and if she is not wearing braces her knee gives out and she feel a lot of pain and she cries.

Anonymous

i pulled my 2yr, 3month year old son out from behind the sofa, and his foot was wedged between the window sill and the sofa. When i put him on the floor, he showed the same behaviour. I can bend his knee and any way i wish, he can crawl, roll around on a bed and doesn't feel any paid. There are no marks or swelling. He also laughingly tells us his 'knee broken'. However when he tried to walk, his injured knee buckles, but because it's hurting him. He only complains a little and falls deliberately falls to the floor and plays without complaint.
After reading the posts, i think he will get better by tomorrow and it will be ok. Since i caused his injury, i'm sure it isn't any sort of condition. It's a father inflicted injury. Toddlers are hugely robust and i'm confident it'll pass.
Thanks for all the posts
A slightly guilty father

Anonymous

All: Please click on this link and see if these are symptoms your child is having. Print it out, and take to your Pediatrician. This is completely new to me, I had never heard of Toxic Synovitis.
http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/toxic_synovitis....

Anonymous

I would also be concerned if I puked a dozen times a day, but for infants it can be normal. Do not compare symptoms you are seeing in your child to what an adult would experience.

Again for one who is of the ages of the children within this conversation puking a dozen times a day would also be cause for concern! I can and do compare, the assumption of "it's their age"
Is the reason many children often go without necessary treatment. Anyway we are getting off point, you can not sweat it and not go to
The doctor If it happens again and I'll "sweat it" and get mine seen to.

Anonymous

I posted back in 2011 about this issue with my son when he was 14 months. He is now almost 3 and no other signs or issues. In fact, we did a 3.5 mile hike last week, and he walked the entire way. It was a one time thing that happened as he was learning to walk and probably overly exerted himself.

I know it is tough, but it seems that things like just "happen". My advice looking back is, if your child isn't concerned, you should not be either. If they have no pain or inability to walk for long stretches of time, don't sweat it.

Also, save yourself the trouble and DO NOT go to the ED. My friend is an ER doc, and he said that his job is to make sure nobody dies that is brought in. If you feel like your child is not in life or death immediate danger, then just get a good nights rest and wait until the AM to go to your doc.

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :