Is tofu safe to eat?

By Anonymous March 21, 2014 - 9:43am

I am a vegan and eat a lot of tofu. I buy organic, non GMO tofu. A friend tells me it could increase my risk of breast cancer and leaky gut syndrome. Is there any truth to this? My online research has yielded conflicting results. Thanks so much!

Hi Anne

The reason for the conflict regarding tofu (soy) is that soy can mimic estrogen and an abundance of that has been linked to breast cancer. Some studies on animals have confirmed this risk but others have not - hence that conflict you read about. 

Bear in mind that our own natural estrogen is the much (much) higher risk for breast cancer. 

I also eat soy but have limited it due to some studies but I have no intention of eliminating it from my diet. Moderation may be the key here. 

One of the best explanations I have read is from cancer.org - you may have read it yourself but I'll post it here: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/expertvoices/post/2012/08/02/the-bottom-line-on-soy-and-breast-cancer-risk.aspx

What do you think of this link?

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide