took plan b, and have not got my period, should I be worried?

By October 12, 2016 - 2:53pm

Hello,I hand unprotected sex on September 15th and took plan B in the afternoon on the 16th. I am on birth control but missed my pill on the 15th. I had started a new pack on the 14th. I took the missed pill at 6 am on the 16th. I was supposed to get my period today, but did not. Is that normal? Should I be worried that I may be pregnant? I have no nausea or anything.

Hi lovelife4321!

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective for women under 176 pounds (it is less effective for women over 165 pounds and ineffective for women over 176 pounds) when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours, so your risk is very small. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell. Symptoms usually start 3-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If you don’t get your next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/birth-control/content/facts-about-emergency-cont...

I am on birth control and am supposed to start a new pack today. Should I wait to get my period or start my pack? I do not think I am pregnant , but want to be safe.

HERWriter Guide (reply to lovelife4321)

Hi again!

Start your pack. If you still have pregnancy concerns, take a test in a week. The pills will not harm a pregnancy.