Topamax, Anti-depressants & Pregnancy Concerns

By April 21, 2011 - 9:57pm

I'm so scared of all of the recent commercials I've seen on TV about Topamax as well as other kinds of drugs (like anti-depressants) and birth defects. Im coming off of my psych meds and trying to get pregnant. How long do I have to wait so all of these drugs are out of my system and I am at no risk of passing anything to my baby?

Hi DizzyLizzy

Thanks for your post! Coming off these medications can (and often should be) a gradual process. So you may need several weeks to wean off them completely and then monitor your progress.

Then you should be fine for pregnancy but your doctor can advise you on how long it should take for the medication to get out of your system.

Additionally, you'll need to talk with your doctor throughout your pregnancy in case any of your mental health problems reoccur during this time (and post partum, too).