Trying to decide if I should have a Bladder Lift?

By August 15, 2009 - 4:54am

I am 26 years old and am contemplating having a bladder lift. I suffer from stress incontinence and urgency. The problem seems to be getting worse. Its embarrassing and is affecting every part of my life. I cant run, I cant jump or sneeze without crossing my legs and it seems that sometimes I leak just when I am sitting in a chair relaxing. I have to wear a panty liner just to be safe. I usually go to the bathroom every hour though or else I would probably have to wear a thick pad. I really want to have this surgery but people keep telling me that I am too young. I may or may not be done having kids I am not sure, if I choose to have more it will be at least 5 years or so. I am currently a single mom to a 5 year old son with Aspergers. My son is fast and loves to run and play, I cant do this with him because I may pee my pants and that would just be really embarrassing! Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Oh I have also tried kegel exercises and Detrol LA and have not had any success. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

I am not sure what I think of the Pessary Devices. After talking to one of my co-workers, who has also been a nurse for 14 years, I decided that I would go to a Urologist and see what he recommends rather than my OB/GYN, who I had the consult with. I will call them monday and see what they suggest. Thanks for your help. I will let you know what happens and what I decide to do.

Dear spblanco

Thanks so much for your question - I'm sorry that you are experiencing this level of incontinence and at such a young age!

Before considering a bladder lift, have you considered a pessary? This is a rubbery device that is quite flexible and is used to hold the bladder in place. A doctor or nurse can insert it and you can learn how to do it yourself, it's not hard at all, once your know how.

Have you talked about this with your health care provider?

With regard to surgery, we have a wonderful page here on EmpowHer that talks about the surgery involved as well as the benefits and risks. You can read all about it here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/cystocele-and-rectocele-repair

The decision is ultimately yours but if you decide that this is what you need (and although Kegels work very well for many women, others can do Kegels till the cows come home and it won't help) then we can help you further.

Tell me what you think of the pessary idea and what you think of the information regarding surgery.

I hope to hear back from you!

Bladder Prolapse