Trying to get pregnant with pcos?

By September 2, 2016 - 11:24am

Hello . Well I have pcos , some of my "friends" tell me that doe I have pcos I cannot get pregnant? Is it true or it's a lie? I am thinking about getting pregnant in the future. I am new to pcos and I am still trying to learning about it so I can educate myself more. Thank you.

Hi LaLaDemiLovato

I know we have discussed PCOS with you before -as a reminder:

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a chronic endocrine disorder in women. Characteristics of PCOS are:

High levels of male hormones (androgens)
Insulin resistance
Hair growth on face and body
Anovulation—when the ovaries make few or no eggs
Ovaries make follicles that hold eggs. With PCOS, the ovaries make the follicles, but the eggs do not mature or leave the ovary.

The immature follicles can turn into fluid-filled sacs called cysts . Most women with PCOS have cysts. But women with ovarian cysts do not necessarily have PCOS.

You can read all about PCOS here:

So pregnancy can be difficult but certainly possible. I believe you are quite young so I wouldn't get too focused on pregnancy right now but once you are ready, you need to discuss options with your doctor and it may not be a good idea to wait until your late 30s like many women do these days. It may be easy for them to get pregnant but it can be a lot harder for those with PCOS.

Read about PCOS and fertility here: http://www.empowher.com/infertility-fertility/content/overcoming-infertility-and-pcos-creating-fertility-your-life

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Guide