Tubes are tied but still concerned I could be pregnant. Period is MIA.

By Anonymous March 31, 2009 - 10:43am

Hello and thank you in advance to all who try to help =)

I had my tubes tied after my last pregnancy (17 months ago) and since then I have not paid much attention to what day of the month my period starts. I do know I had my period in February (my guess is I started on the 14th or 21st - it was a Sat. and towards the later part of the month) and it's now going on April and I have not had a period. I know it's very unlikely that I could get pregnant after having my tubes tied BUT I conceived my three boys extremely easily. I'm just a fertile mertile ;) So, I do not doubt my bodies ability to get pregnant. I did take a pregnancy test last thursday (March 26) and it was negative. I don't currently have health insurance, if I did I would just make an appt to see my Doctor. What are your thoughts? Think I could be pregnant? FYI my periods are never late. If anything they come early and they last abour 7-8 days (ugh!!).

Thanks!!
~ K

P.S. If I were indeed pregnant would I get a positive pregnancy test if it was an ectopic pregnancy?

Anonymous

I am concerned. I had my last period on the 27th of April. I had a tubal ligation 7 years ago. I was due for my period on the 25th of May. I had a few cramps yesterday nothing like what I normally get and my periods are like clockwork. They are usually early by a day or two not ever late. Last month when I had my period it was pretty heavy ... I'm 96lbs. I have had three children vaginally. I am 30 years old and just wondering what is going on. I have never in my life missed a period unless I was pregnant ... so the thing about my BMI is not exactly correct I have always been small, aside from having my kids! I haven't taken a test yet because to be honest i do want another baby. The only reason I got my tubal done was because of my ex husband he was abusive and I was afraid of him.

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I am sorry to hear that you were a victim of domestic abuse. Hopefully, he is out of your life and you no longer live in fear.

Have you had unprotected intercourse since your last normal period?
If so, wait one week and take a home pregnancy test. I understand you do not want another child, but you need to know.

Odds are stress could be causing a delay in the start of your period.

Talk with your gynecologist. Even though you had a tubal ligation seven years ago, if you have been sexually active, the probability of getting pregnant is very low, but still possible.

Keep in touch,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I DO want another child ..... I am remarried and he has not children of his own.... also I haven't taken a home pregnancy test. I do have unprotected intercourse with my husband.

Anonymous

Hi I had my tubes tired 13 years ago. I started my period March 29th and Ended April 5th now its May 5th and I am now 7 days late. I have tooken a pg test a few days ago and has came back negative. Question here is since I have started at the end of march and the beginning of April does this count as my April period?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It's not actually necessary to get a period (like an April period or a May period) if a cycle is longer than 30 days. Some women have a 35 day cycle and will technically skip a month now and again.

How old are you? If you are over 40 and certainly over 45 you may be entering perimenopause where periods start changing. Some now get three week periods, other five week periods. Since your test is negative and your tubes are tied, your risk of pregnancy is nearly zero.

However, stranger things have happened in life! Wait to see what happens in the next week and if you don't get your period call you doctor for a blood test. That way you can confirm the pregnancy issue and also see where you stand hormonally.

I was thinking the same I am 35. I have a close friend that brunt her tubes 6 years ago and now she is 5 months pregnant. I just don't know what's going on with my body just worried. I will wait another week then go to the doctor if I haven't started. Thank you

I was also thinking I was going through the change of life I'm only 35. Just worried I do have a close friend that had her tubes tied,burnt 5 years ago and she is 5 months pregnant now.

Anonymous

I had my TL done 12 29 13 after my 3d child. all three children were by C-section & pretty difficulty deliveries. After my daughter was taken to the neo natal icu my tubes were burnt clamped & tied. I've been on the spot with my menstrual cycle since my tubal. Feb. 14 my husband and I had a great Valentine's Day after that as scheduled I got my mp. Now I'm 16 days late which has NEVER HAPPENED! Constantly fatigued, I could sleep an eternity if I could, always hungry when I am awake, tender breast but OMG my nipples ache so bad not to mention vivid dreams. I only ever has vivid dreams throughout my pregnancies. I've take 3 hpt all negative. I have no insurance to visit my obgyn. Oh in January I had like major blood clots that felt like I pushed my liver out. I sat down on the toilet due to an urgency of urination & I heard a bloop I looked down and it looked like a chunk of liver. Has anyone ever experienced anything like that?
Please advise thank you god bless.

I have not personally experienced anything like this.
But, I am concerned about the passing of large blood clots back in January. Add to that a period that is 16 days late and all of your symptoms.

I understand your financial situation, but you need to find out what is going on. If undiagnosed and untreated, the costs could be much higher than a visit to the doctor.

I suggest you call your doctor's office and share what has happened. Mention your financial situation. You should be able to work out a payment plan or may be offered a lower cost for the visit since you have no insurance and must pay out of pocket.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi, I had my tubes tied Oct. 23, 2013 upon c-section of my 3rd son. I conceived him that Feb. My periods have been normal and on time since. I am now 6-7 days late. I am cramping and have wiped pinkish twice, barely noticeable, once last night and once this morning. I took a pregnancy test about 3:00 yesterday evening and it was negative. My periods have never been late. Not sure what else it could be. I have no insurance so I can't get to the OB right this moment. I keep feeling as if my period is going to start at any moment! I will start cramping and run to the bathroom and...... nothing. We had to tubal done because we didn't want another baby. Not sure what this could be because my periods are always there! They make sure to hit me every month same time with a bang! but nothing..... plz advise

Pregnancy Guide