ask: Is two toenails uncommon? Should I be concerned?

By Cindy December 21, 2008 - 3:41pm

I have a toe nail that appears to have two toenails growing...literally one on top of the other. Should I be concerned about this? It doesn't hurt at all but it just odd.

I just had this thing happen i think a month ago? I saw my toenail lifting up and im like wtf?????? So going by my way of "let it be and itll go away", i left it there until it turned a nasty shade of opaque yellowish white. I tried to cut it to where I figured it ended but i still could lift it up. (warning disgusting content ahead). So i used my teeth to rip the whole toenail out. Strange thing was, it didnt hurt, but there was a bit of blood. Only later did i find out that i had another toenail growing under the top one.

I have this problem and what I have done was cut the nail from the cuticle if it is sticking up from the new nail that is growing in. I also used pointy curved tweezers to lift under the nail and cut. Sooner or later the tweezer hit skin and that's when I stopped. I waited a couple weeks and every once in a while I put a bandaid to make sure nothing got inside the nail. After a couple weeks I looked at my nail again and a little more grew so I cut what I could off. I repeated this process until the top nail is gone. Hopefully this works for you. :)

I have this problem times 3. I also get severe in grown toe nails. I don't know why. I give myself foot baths. Keep them trimmed up, I even bought a specific trimmer for toe nails that cost $28.95. They still hurt every now and then. I thought maybe if I go to get a few pedicures, but I am just to embarrassed by my toe nails. Please, if anyone else has a cure to this, let me know, this is like the electric chair to bad toe nails. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter in advance.

I dropped a barrel off a loading dock that landed on my feet when I was about 25. Lost both big toenails and since then have grown two. figured I damaged the cuticle. Still have problem and I'm 68 now.

I have tried to find a solution to this problem. This post and comments have been helpful. My 9 year old has this problem. His two big toes are the worst. Kids tease him about it and he is self concious and embarrassed. Our dermatologist said it wasn't fungus. He said it was due to something "constitutional" that was causing his nails to stop and restart growing. Each line across his nail is where the nail stopped and restarted growing. The layers of nails peel off just to expose another layer underneath. Dirt gets stuck in the lines and ridges where the new old old layers meet. He has had this for years. No obvious trauma. Maybe I will take him to a podiatrist. I hadn't thought of that. I just tried using an electric callous remover to buff the surface of the nail as was suggested in a previous comment and that helped so much. It took the dark lines off the surface of the dead nail layers as well as reduced the thickness. much less ugly looking and less noticeable.

I have a daughter that was born with both of her pinky toe nails like that ,they have double nails and they grow weird. Sometimes the top nail falls off and also on one of the piny toe nails on one of her foot looks thick. But you could clearly see that she has double nails. One time I took my daughter to the hospital for something totally un related and when they saw her feet they were shocked because they have never seen anything like that. She doesn't like it when I cut them so I always file them. Well that's my story about my daughters nails I don't know if Thiers a name for it but I'm glad she's not alone on that. Thank you Bridgette p cash. 4 /19/15

I have had the same thing on my 2 big toe nails, it started when I was pregnant with my second child. Went to the podiatrist and he tested for fungus but it came back negative but we used the fungus treatment on it anyways for about a year but it didn't' help. he seems to be stumped, he cuts it and cleans underneath and sands the top so when the 1st nail is growing out it gets thick. would love to know how to fix this!!! so going on 5 years now. last thing, recently spent a day in the ocean one felt like it was coming apart, got all bloody underneath and hurt and i was limping for a couple of nights. now it just looks gross. i too get occasional discomfort in my 2 big toe nails.

Had two big toes like that for 15+ years, after careless clipping habits and bad fit shoes led to ingrowns there. Was told it was from a split nail bed, two sides growing disconnected, but got my doubts. Why?

Well... I CURRENTLY HAVE DOUBLES OR TRIPLES ON ALL 20 NAILS - or rather, all ~43 of them.hat
Happened after chicken pox messed with my hands 2-3 months ago - so much peeling that literally peeled entire hands several times over, but was kinda afraid to go too deep...waited too long, all the dried dead skin pushed around and kinda deformed my nails. Same on feet a week later.

Also heard iron deficiency, zinc, or calcium may be at fault. Can rule out zinc, doubt its calcium unless being sick gave me D3 deficiency and I couldnt absorb the calcium I had plenty of...again though, unlikely-ish, a blood test some years back actually clocked me at the highest (!) PPM of D3 that doc had ever seen, he even freaked about it for a bit.

Will investigate iron deficiency. My diet is weird due tp allergies to gluten and refined sugar, so stuff like fortified grains never ends up on my plate...who knows. But the recent "childproof it by making all multivitamins 0% iron" trend already had me wondering, so iron deficiency on an unusual diet is my main suspect

PS you can clear nailpolish your layers together or superglue em on the ends. Do be careful with all CA glues though, minors and noobs stick to clear polish

PPS male, 29, white, fairly healthy. Oh yeah, possible coincidence - but freak occurrence of waves and waves of suddenly ingrowing hair stubble that never used to curl this hard and stubborn before (face, neck, chest, shoulders). And, get this, ALSO >2 HAIRS PER PROBLEM FOLLICLE (3-8+!!!), again with stuff doubling huh....

And one massive twoday shed of hairloss during chicken pox, took off like 20-30% overnight - but had been blaming doctors' careless steroid script on that (took it only once too). Seems to be growing back tho.

I have the same thing is it bad

I have a similar problem. I am 13 and my toenails have always been short due to me picking them all the time (I've now grown out my fingernails so I can now stop with the picking as it'll ruin them.) One day my second toe had separated from the nail bed - or so I thought. I have now figured out it is a separate layer that has lifted up! I freaked myself out about it until I thought I was going to throw up with stress and worry... But I just want to ask you guys if the bottom layer reattaches to the top one once it has started growing again, this is my last worry about it. Seriously, I thought I would have to get surgery or something, I was so scared!

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: