ask: Is two toenails uncommon? Should I be concerned?

I have a toe nail that appears to have two toenails growing...literally one on top of the other. Should I be concerned about this? It doesn't hurt at all but it just odd.

Anonymous

I have a daughter that was born with both of her pinky toe nails like that ,they have double nails and they grow weird. Sometimes the top nail falls off and also on one of the piny toe nails on one of her foot looks thick. But you could clearly see that she has double nails. One time I took my daughter to the hospital for something totally un related and when they saw her feet they were shocked because they have never seen anything like that. She doesn't like it when I cut them so I always file them. Well that's my story about my daughters nails I don't know if Thiers a name for it but I'm glad she's not alone on that. Thank you Bridgette p cash. 4 /19/15

Anonymous

I have had the same thing on my 2 big toe nails, it started when I was pregnant with my second child. Went to the podiatrist and he tested for fungus but it came back negative but we used the fungus treatment on it anyways for about a year but it didn't' help. he seems to be stumped, he cuts it and cleans underneath and sands the top so when the 1st nail is growing out it gets thick. would love to know how to fix this!!! so going on 5 years now. last thing, recently spent a day in the ocean one felt like it was coming apart, got all bloody underneath and hurt and i was limping for a couple of nights. now it just looks gross. i too get occasional discomfort in my 2 big toe nails.

Anonymous

Had two big toes like that for 15+ years, after careless clipping habits and bad fit shoes led to ingrowns there. Was told it was from a split nail bed, two sides growing disconnected, but got my doubts. Why?

Well... I CURRENTLY HAVE DOUBLES OR TRIPLES ON ALL 20 NAILS - or rather, all ~43 of them.hat
Happened after chicken pox messed with my hands 2-3 months ago - so much peeling that literally peeled entire hands several times over, but was kinda afraid to go too deep...waited too long, all the dried dead skin pushed around and kinda deformed my nails. Same on feet a week later.

Also heard iron deficiency, zinc, or calcium may be at fault. Can rule out zinc, doubt its calcium unless being sick gave me D3 deficiency and I couldnt absorb the calcium I had plenty of...again though, unlikely-ish, a blood test some years back actually clocked me at the highest (!) PPM of D3 that doc had ever seen, he even freaked about it for a bit.

Will investigate iron deficiency. My diet is weird due tp allergies to gluten and refined sugar, so stuff like fortified grains never ends up on my plate...who knows. But the recent "childproof it by making all multivitamins 0% iron" trend already had me wondering, so iron deficiency on an unusual diet is my main suspect

PS you can clear nailpolish your layers together or superglue em on the ends. Do be careful with all CA glues though, minors and noobs stick to clear polish

PPS male, 29, white, fairly healthy. Oh yeah, possible coincidence - but freak occurrence of waves and waves of suddenly ingrowing hair stubble that never used to curl this hard and stubborn before (face, neck, chest, shoulders). And, get this, ALSO >2 HAIRS PER PROBLEM FOLLICLE (3-8+!!!), again with stuff doubling huh....

And one massive twoday shed of hairloss during chicken pox, took off like 20-30% overnight - but had been blaming doctors' careless steroid script on that (took it only once too). Seems to be growing back tho.

Anonymous

I have the same thing is it bad

Anonymous

I have a similar problem. I am 13 and my toenails have always been short due to me picking them all the time (I've now grown out my fingernails so I can now stop with the picking as it'll ruin them.) One day my second toe had separated from the nail bed - or so I thought. I have now figured out it is a separate layer that has lifted up! I freaked myself out about it until I thought I was going to throw up with stress and worry... But I just want to ask you guys if the bottom layer reattaches to the top one once it has started growing again, this is my last worry about it. Seriously, I thought I would have to get surgery or something, I was so scared!

Anonymous

All my toenails on my right foot are connected together. I wish i could post a pic... It looks like my Right foot has one toe... My doctor is having me visit a specialist next week.

Anonymous

26 years ago my then 3 year old son was playing, goofing around on one of our wooden kitchen chairs. It tipped and fell. The edge of the seat hit right at the base of the nail on my big toe. The toe swelled, filled with fluid, turned purple, and I was in excruciating pain. I went to the doctor, and he removed the nail. He said I was lucky, it will grow back. He was right, it did. However, it grows out perfectly fine one time, and the next time it grows with a nail on top of a nail. Every nail growth is alternate. Doesn't hurt, never has. Just strange, that's all.

Anonymous

This happened to my big toe in 2008 after going thru cancer treatment. I continue to have it and now also noticed a nail growing underneath a nail on a center toe. Doesn't hurt. Top nail eventually peels off. Have so many other side effects after having head cancer twice now I haven't worried about it. Glad to see it's not just me.

The story is the same for me.

At 43, I did pre-op chemo and radiation, then after I had my entire colon and rectum removed in an 8 hour surgery, I almost died from a frigging staph infection.

Then, at the advice of my oncologist, did post-op chemo which was MUCH more aggressive than the pre-op chemo. This was to kill stray cancer cells. How I wish I wouldn't have listened to my family and friends. They all told me to do it, you have to, what if you die. Well, hind sight is yadda yadda, but I should have gone with my gut feeling. Chemo ruined my life even worse than I could have imagined.

I was supposed to do 8 post-op treatments, 1 every other week, take home a noisy pump for three days, and then return to have it removed from my port. All at the cost of over $20,000 per treatment(that's the price of the chemo only). I quit after the THIRD treatment due to the side effects.

Soon afterwards, the REAL side effects took place. My feet are now completely f*cked from neropathy, I am sterile, I am impotent, and I have major joint pain. Add to that, extreme tinnitus, fatigue, 3 years of severe depression, pain, and oh yah, my big toenails are disgusting, which is how I found this thread.

Anonymous

My middle toes on both feet have 2 layers, one will grow under the top pushing the top off from the cuticle area of my nail, after a little time, I can lift the toenail from the cuticle and cut it off piece by piece, slowly until the under nail has grown out completely. I wouldn't recommend "ripping it off" like an earlier post said. In time you can clip the top nail completely away and have a new nail. Problem is if you like to paint your nails, makes it difficult when the under nail starts pushing the upper nail off, looks really weird. Last week something new happened though, my pinky toenail came completely off, just lifted right off without any nail under it. None of the nails hurt but it kind of freaks me out, it reminded me a lot of the movie, "The Fly", when he started pulling his nails off......... WEIRD!!! I'm just worried that it might be a vitamin deficiency and it the toenails are the first warning signs....... ugh! If anyone knows cures, I'm all ears

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: