Is two toenails uncommon? Should I be concerned?

By December 21, 2008 - 3:41pm

I have a toe nail that appears to have two toenails growing...literally one on top of the other. Should I be concerned about this? It doesn't hurt at all but it just odd.

I have thick toe nails and found out there is another nail underneath. They suggested Vicks vapor rub on toes nightly and the top one came off very nicely. It grew normal for a long time but then hitting it repeatedly over time caused it to happen again. So here I go again. Same treatment. Vicks vapor rub and socks at night until it clears up again. Good luck. Please look it up.

Anonymous

This has been a big help! My right foot pinky toe has a bit of an overlap of my toenail! My mom is always telling me I have to cut it off and that it's an infection. I tell her every time that I got it when I was little. I hit my toe on the refrigerator and my toenail broke. I think it's my toenail trying to grow back!! I'm also embarrassed to get a pedicure because every time I go the ladies always try to pick off the toenail but it doesn't come off. They always ask me and I get skeptical to get my toes done or to do them at home! Thanks again anyway

Anonymous

I just had this thing happen i think a month ago? I saw my toenail lifting up and im like wtf?????? So going by my way of "let it be and itll go away", i left it there until it turned a nasty shade of opaque yellowish white. I tried to cut it to where I figured it ended but i still could lift it up. (warning disgusting content ahead). So i used my teeth to rip the whole toenail out. Strange thing was, it didnt hurt, but there was a bit of blood. Only later did i find out that i had another toenail growing under the top one.

Anonymous

I have this problem and what I have done was cut the nail from the cuticle if it is sticking up from the new nail that is growing in. I also used pointy curved tweezers to lift under the nail and cut. Sooner or later the tweezer hit skin and that's when I stopped. I waited a couple weeks and every once in a while I put a bandaid to make sure nothing got inside the nail. After a couple weeks I looked at my nail again and a little more grew so I cut what I could off. I repeated this process until the top nail is gone. Hopefully this works for you. :)

Anonymous

I have this problem times 3. I also get severe in grown toe nails. I don't know why. I give myself foot baths. Keep them trimmed up, I even bought a specific trimmer for toe nails that cost $28.95. They still hurt every now and then. I thought maybe if I go to get a few pedicures, but I am just to embarrassed by my toe nails. Please, if anyone else has a cure to this, let me know, this is like the electric chair to bad toe nails. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter in advance.

Anonymous

I dropped a barrel off a loading dock that landed on my feet when I was about 25. Lost both big toenails and since then have grown two. figured I damaged the cuticle. Still have problem and I'm 68 now.

Anonymous

I have tried to find a solution to this problem. This post and comments have been helpful. My 9 year old has this problem. His two big toes are the worst. Kids tease him about it and he is self concious and embarrassed. Our dermatologist said it wasn't fungus. He said it was due to something "constitutional" that was causing his nails to stop and restart growing. Each line across his nail is where the nail stopped and restarted growing. The layers of nails peel off just to expose another layer underneath. Dirt gets stuck in the lines and ridges where the new old old layers meet. He has had this for years. No obvious trauma. Maybe I will take him to a podiatrist. I hadn't thought of that. I just tried using an electric callous remover to buff the surface of the nail as was suggested in a previous comment and that helped so much. It took the dark lines off the surface of the dead nail layers as well as reduced the thickness. much less ugly looking and less noticeable.

Anonymous

I have a daughter that was born with both of her pinky toe nails like that ,they have double nails and they grow weird. Sometimes the top nail falls off and also on one of the piny toe nails on one of her foot looks thick. But you could clearly see that she has double nails. One time I took my daughter to the hospital for something totally un related and when they saw her feet they were shocked because they have never seen anything like that. She doesn't like it when I cut them so I always file them. Well that's my story about my daughters nails I don't know if Thiers a name for it but I'm glad she's not alone on that. Thank you Bridgette p cash. 4 /19/15

Anonymous

I have had the same thing on my 2 big toe nails, it started when I was pregnant with my second child. Went to the podiatrist and he tested for fungus but it came back negative but we used the fungus treatment on it anyways for about a year but it didn't' help. he seems to be stumped, he cuts it and cleans underneath and sands the top so when the 1st nail is growing out it gets thick. would love to know how to fix this!!! so going on 5 years now. last thing, recently spent a day in the ocean one felt like it was coming apart, got all bloody underneath and hurt and i was limping for a couple of nights. now it just looks gross. i too get occasional discomfort in my 2 big toe nails.

OMG!! I could have written your comment almost verbatim! My problem is ALSO with my two, big toenails. It ALSO started with my 2nd pregnancy, ALSO had fungus ruled out. (Like I said, almost word for word)!

Two years ago, I'd had it for about 9 years before spending excruciating hours over several days picking, prying, cutting, clipping and praying until the top layer finally came off.

I don't know how long this lasted, but it's back, on just my right, big toenail. If I recall correctly, when it first appeared, as well as this time, the first sign was a very noticeable ridge close to the cuticle.

I plan to try the Vicks Vapour Rub solution as mentioned above, and I really hope it works! (I've had a gift certificate for a mani/pedi for about 5 years and I haven't used it yet because I'm too embarrassed about my toe).

Has your condition cleared up? If so, what did you try that worked? Has it been a permanent solution?

Thanks so much in advance for all your help!

Sincerely,

Connie Carswell