Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Ulcers, blisters, sores on face that will not heal

I have been have problems with sores on my face for a long time now. They are not acne but are more like blisters or ulcer type lesions that only have a watery substance that comes from them. They are very painful and sometimes bleed crusting over to a scab. However, they almost heal then they begin the cycle all over again in the same regions mostly below my mouth, not on my lips ever. They swell up again and then are even more painful. They burn, ache and hurt. Please tell me what to do. I was diagnosed with lymes disease but I am not sure whether these sores have anything to do with that, since it only is on my face. I look aweful and don't feel well at all. I also have had steroid injections to my spine and they get much worse. What can I do. Please help me. Sincerely Annette Deming

Anonymous

For anyone with chronic skin problems, you may want to consider taking a daily multivitamin as well as a zinc supplement. The body needs zinc for wound healing and it does not store zinc, so if your body is in active repair mode with wounds to heal you need to make sure to get plenty of zinc on a regular basis.
I have bad skin and just developed a small ulcer on my face...did the whole weeping/won't heal thing so I went online to try to find a solution. It seems to be common with people with irritable bowel syndrome, which can cause vitamin deficiencies.

Anonymous

I have a question: Do you drink wine? I have the same problem as you, but I have noticed it only occurs after I have been drinking wine. Now, I stay away from the stuff and the problem is gone.

Anonymous

Annette, I think I have the same thing as you have. I research everywhere online and the closest thing I can come up with is dermatitis herpetiformis. My bumps occur only on my face (cheeks and the fu-man-chu moustache area). They start under the skin as a hard nodule, then surface quickly (inside a day) and then start leaking clear fluid, sometimes a small amt of blood. I can get one or several at a time. I think you should be checked to see if you are gluten sensitive - I know I am. Lately I have been eating very gluten-reduced diet; the bumps came back in force when I ate some pretzels. But in a way I also feel they are connected to a hormone issue.

RimaBer

Im really desperate right now i've been suffering from PITYRIASIS LICHENOIDES CHRONICA for about 3 months. and it's very hard for me to accept that there is no cure for this horrible thing. Can someone help me how to manage my condition i had it on my face, neck and all over my body. Is it covering it up by using make up can conceal the redness of my rashes? I'm from the Philippines anyway can someone give me names of best cosmetic products for PLC that are available in my country? I really appreciate your help Thank you and more power!

Anonymous (reply to RimaBer)

I've been suffering on and off for 5 years.
I'm 28, used to model and now stay in long shorts and pants even in the Texas heat.. I have been all over even Mayo clinic until I found in my endless search of this horrible painful and disfiguring cycle of cysts>fluid weep>Honest crusting>green like infection covering of ulcerated sore that is not like a scan but cement > bleed / weep> end of cycle to start over.. Always on old areas under chin, jaw bone, forehead and middles my Cheeks , thank God never lips. Backs of arms and on legs. I also feel like I have the flu when it gets bad and have hot and cold sweats and brain fog and no energy. On top of the pain skin (happens all of a sudden my skin hates me all over at the same time ). Purplish hard waxy "scars". I found PL which I had never heard of and even worse the FUMHD subtype... Further reading, could be die to oh her auto
Immune issue or cytomelgavirus/eppsteinbarr.. Well my mom is a celiac but I did not think I had it, and I do have high amounts
Of CYTOMEG AND EBV .. Do you have any connections? There are 3 subtypes of PL and all can happen on our skin at the same time and even be different stages of each subtype!! this adds to
Why it is so hard to diagnose. I got into a new derm in Plano who thought it was auto immune as she said this is not just a skin issue but something from the inside out.. Then I sent over pictures with stages marching photos online I found and they called me and said they have only seen one as bad but 99% sure I finally have a diagnoses. Though no cure and dangerous in adults. I went gluten free as a last resort and only thing that has ever given me times of remission.. I do not have DH which is the skin rash that gluten intolerances can have.. But I believe PL and FUMHD are all inflammation related and auto immune is all inflammation so cutting out additional inflaming substances (gluten) saved my life. It's not a cure but it's given me hope after this horrible disease took over my life after this last round of 7 months and couldn't get out of bed sleeping for 18 Hours a day and lost my job, etc.. and non stop antibiotics and misdiagnoses.

THE ONLY THING THAT COVERS IT.. I never used to wear make up, but I've now had to try and waste lots of money to make myself not look like a leaper.. SEPHORA: MAKEUP-FOREVER HD FOUNDATION, I am a N140 and sometimes N127. It's been only thing for years and it always try anything new in hopes.. I have some Jewish heritage so have olive skin (I was very dark as a child though have lightened a lot, and our skin colors are prone to hyper pigmentation).

Email anytime , this is a miserable process, anyone who even knows what it is is like finding gold!
blairkern@yahoo.com

RimaBer (reply to Anonymous)

Hi blaikern,

Thank you for your response. I already sent you email and hoping for your response. Can't wait to hear other stories of yours related to PLC.

Thank you in advance!
Best regards,

Rima

Anonymous

I was at he doctor today and this is what I was told. Here is a link with a picture. This sounds like a possibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pseudoporphyria.JPG

So sorry that you're going through this. Unfortunately, we aren't doctors and cannot see you so, I can only take a guess as to what this could be.

If you have blisters on your face it could be cold sores (aka fever blisters), Impetigo, or certain auto-immune diseases can also cause blisters on your face.

Please read a little more on cold sores and Impetigo here:
http://www.empowher.com/condition/cold-sores/definition

http://www.empowher.com/condition/impetigo/definition

Please schedule an appointment with your dermatologist as soon as possible for a diagnosis and let me know what you think of the information.

Best Wishes,

Rosa

Sysy92

I have the same problem :( only i have two, which is one on my arm and on my chest. I've had them for about 8 months. dont know what to do, and haven't mentioned it to my doctor.

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: