Unexplained dizziness - why?

For the past couple of months I have had daily dizziness, especially when I get up and move around. So I went to the doctor and had my thyroid and iron levels checked and they are fine.

So now I am a bit stumped as to what it could be?

I'm a 45 yr old male with dizziness currently taking Zetia. My doctor has checked me for vertigo and sent me to a specialist for heart and neck ultrasound. All checked out fine. I recently heard Zetia may be the culprit so I stopped taking last night. Now I'm told the neck ultrasound indicated a lump in my neck near my Adams Apple. Can anyone tie these together? Hopefully the doc in the next few days and I will post any updates I have.

Your Chiropractor would be able to tell if you suffered whiplash. If you did, you might have suffered a bit of brain trauma. A CT sounds like a good idea. Dizziness this long after your accident should be looked into.

I hope all turns out well.

I have a question. I am 14 and ever since getting hit by a car on Feb. 1st, hard enough to knock me out for a few seconds but not serious enough to rush to the ER, i have been getting dizzy almost every time i stand up and occassionaly it'll happen randomly. I also get "whitouts" similar to blacckouts, just white. I have gotten an MRI and I was fine. My doctor said there wasn't much else to do and my chiropractor said a CT (or something) scan was a good idea. Any ideas?

maybe you have vertigo it can be treated by medication

I too have had an on going but intermittent dizziness problem for many years and have even blacked out twice from it. It seems to be tied into the combination of heat, exertion (exercise) and sometimes dehydration and food. I have told multiple doctors about it and they have been unable to provide a solution. It concerns me and makes me much more cautious to do outside activities when it's hot but I don't want that to stop me. I do take a small dose of Toprol (25 mg) for a super ventricular tacycardia though the cardiologists don't think it's related. My blood pressure is fine also. I was told by one doctor to eat more salt which hasn't seemed to alter it.
Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

You received some great information above, and I just wanted to add my two cents: the only time in my life when I was consistently dizzy for a period of time was when I was pregnant. Don't want to worry you, but is there a chance you could be pregnant? :-)

Your blood volume increases by 45% (wow!) over the course of pregnancy, in order to provide more oxygen to the baby. The physical effects of this to the mother can be the feelings of dizziness, light-headedness and vertigo.

Just one more "factor" to rule out!

I've had the same problem off and on for years, but it became worse after moving to the southwest right after our summer monsoon rains each year. I was referred to an allergy doctor and am on a nasal spray Flonaze and Zyrtec antihistimines (now available OTC). The allergist also recommended over-the-counter Musinex-D. I found a less expensive generic version at Costo called Mucas Relief which contains the same ingredient Guaifenesin that's in Musinex. It works by somehow shrinking the swelling caused by allergies that causes stuff to get backed up in either my ear or nasal passages which causes my dizziness. It also works great in airplanes to aid in lessening my ear pain. I would read the package carefully as it's not good for anyone with high blood pressure and other conditions.

On another note, if you eat anything, or cook with MSG, it could be another trigger for dizziness, as well as nausea. I ate Pringles potatoe chips almost every night and had extreme issues with dizziness and nausea within a few hours after consuming them. I ran into some information connecting MSG to a variety of symptoms, including mine, and after I read the Pringles label of ingredients I discovered they contained MSG. As soon as I stopped my nightly habit of eating Pringles my dizziness and nausea stopped until I moved to the Southwest and different allergies took over.

I've been having the same problem lately, since I started heart medication, I think it's a side-effect of my meds.

Can you provide us more information about your situation?

That will help us find the possible causes to your dizziness.

Dizziness may be caused by a number of factors.

How's your blood pressure? High or Low?

Are you on any medication?

How long is it after you eat when you feel dizzy?

And are there any foods you've eaten hours before you felt dizzy?

Together Marie-Claire, we'll figure this one out. Look forward to your feedback.

Be EmpowHer'ed,