Unprotected sex , changed pill .

Dear Empowher ,

I've just changed my pill from Ange 28 (Japanese brand) to Diane 35 . I've been on the pill for the last 6 months and 6 days ago I changed my pills to Diane 35 . Today I had an unprotected sex . Does my new pills already works now ? I'm worry that due to pill changes , I will be more prone to pregnancy .

Thank you for your answers .

Regards ,

Hi Dee,

When changing or taking any new form of birth control, you should wait 7 days before having sex and/or use other means of protection. Since you had sex on the 7th day, you should be fine.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Hi Susan ,

Thanks for the reply . I don't know about the dosage , but I started my new brand on time . I started the pill on the 10th , my last placebo pill from the previous brand was on the 9th . I had sex on the 16th .

Was I protected then ? I'm very concerned .

I'm looking forward to replies . Thank you .

Hi Dee -

Thanks for your question and for finding EmpowHER!

If both your Pills are of the same kind (same dosage, medication and usage) then you should be fine if you ended your first brand properly and took your new brand on time. In other words, the only break you took (if you took one) was for 5 days for your breakthrough bleeding. Was that the case?

If so, you should be protected. Let me know if you have any further questions and thanks for writing!