Unusual NuvaRing side effects..?

By Anonymous April 8, 2014 - 9:39am

Just a few months ago I was put on the NuvaRing. All is well, except this last month or so I've been experiencing less than pleasant symptoms. I've consistently had a dark reddish/brownish (almost purple!) color in discharge. I expected some spotting, but this is constant. I'll have my week off of NuvaRing, my period will come and go, and approximately a day or two later the discharge is back. In addition, I'll have some cramping now and then. Nothing major, but it's noticeable and at random times. Are these normal side effects for the NuvaRing? Will this discharge ever stop?

Oh, and one last thing, around the time I began NuvaRing, I developed a permanent blush look on my face cheeks. It almost looks like rosacea, yet I've always had clear skin. I don't know if this is coincidence, or another possible side effect of the NuvaRing. Thoughts?

Bleeding is a fairly common side effect of Nuvaring that hopefully will end after continued use. But if this is daily, you should consult your doctor.  

But I would advise you to call your doctor straight away regarding the "blush" look on your face - this can be linked with toxic shock syndome - a potentially dangerous condition with what you are describing as one of the symptoms. Toxic shock syndrome is listed as one of the more serious side effects of Nuvaring. 

Everything is likely to be just fine but I would place a call very soon to make sure. 

Has this helped?