By September 2, 2016 - 10:38am

My boyfriend and I had sex on Sept. 1. After we finished and he took the condom off, we noticed there was a tear in the side (not the tip) of the condom. I couldn't tell/feel if anything was inside me, but I went straight to the shower and washed my vagina out. We then went to the drug store, and I took Plan B within 30 minutes of the incident.

The ironic part, is that earlier that day I went to the gynecologist where I was prescribed my first oral birth control pill. After I got home that night, I took the first pill (this was after taking the Plan B pill). How likely am I to get pregnant? What should I expect over the next few weeks? Will I even have a period if I just started taking the oral contraceptive? When should I take a pregnancy test?

Thank you so much

Hi lexie199698

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective for women under 176 pounds (it is less effective for women over 165 pounds and ineffective for women over 176 pounds) when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours, so your risk is very small. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell. Symptoms usually start 3-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding. If you don’t get your next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/birth-control/content/facts-about-emergency-cont...

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Should I still expect a period even though I have just started using oral contraceptives?

HERWriter Guide (reply to lexie199698)

Hi Lexie!

It's hard to say since your new Pill schedule may affect what could be normal side effect bleeding of emergency contraception. So it's kind of a "wait and see" thing.