Used Betadine while 5 weeks pregnant

I cut my finger with a knife ten days ago, and since then am applying Betadine antiseptic solution daily to clean the wound. I am 5 weeks pregnant and just found out it's not recommended for pregnant. Did I cause any harm? Is there anything I can do?

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for coming to us with your concern about using Betadine solution while pregnant.

Povidone iodine is the active ingredient in Betadine ointment and Betadine antiseptic solution.. It is contraindicated for pregnant women and women who are breast feeding.

Iodine can pass through the placenta and can be secreted in breast milk. Due to the increased sensitivity of the fetus and newborn, large amount of Betadine are contraindicated. The concern is damage to the thyroid gland of the developing fetus and newborn.

Please stop using Betadine and contact your obstetrician. Hopefully, the amount that you used was low enough as to not pose a risk to your baby.