Is Vaginal smell normal after a vaginal hysterectomy ?

By Anonymous December 7, 2014 - 8:49pm

I'm 32 years old and just had a vaginal Hysterectomy 4 weeks ago. I feel great and have no pain but I have a discharge and very bad smell coming from my vagina. I wear a panty liner and change it often, but I feel like the smell is coming from my pours and everyone can smell it .... I shower everyday and wash myself many times a day . I still can't have a bath and It's driving me nuts . ....death is defentaly a good example to describe the sent ... Ffs..Please help me

Thank you for your post and I'm sorry you're dealing with this side effect of having a hysterectomy - but this side effect is actually quite common. 

In the early weeks following a hysterectomy, many women experience an unusual or offensive vaginal odor that can be quite unsettling. This odor is likely caused by dissolving stitches, along with old blood and other fluids in the abdominal cavity. This can happen with either a vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy.

This smell should leave in the next few weeks. 

A strong, particularly a "fishy" vaginal odor, accompanied by a discharge may indicate a vaginal infection. This needs to be promptly treated by your doctor.

When in doubt, it is safest to contact your doctor's office to mention any unusual vaginal odor.

I hope this helps and I hope you recover well.