Lyme Disease

ask: Very painful, bruised, red, tick bite.

By Sysy92

I have gotten many tick bites this year. over 15 (We live in the woods), but this tick bite woke me up in the middle of the night causing a lot of pain throughout my leg, it's very difficult to walk now. I have provided a link with a picture of my thigh where the tick bite is. But when I woke up, I pulled off the tick and that little area was numb but the rest of my leg was in terrible pain. Now it hurts all over the leg and walking is so painful on it. Do you think it could be lyme disease?

The way it looks and feels is scaring me. It hurts A LOT.
http://tinypic.com/r/k31yte/5. Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Hi Sysy,

What did your doctor say? Has s/he seen you?

-Rosa

Sysy92 (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Hi rosa!
Went to the doctor today and they checked it out. They said I have Cellulitis and it looks like a classic sign of Lyme Disease. They tested me and said they won't know for 3 days if i have previously been exposed to lyme disease, and that I won't know if this bite exposed me to lyme disease for 28 days (when I have a retest). They put me on Doxycicline for 2 weeks, and said if I develop a fever or worsening symptoms to come back. I have a lot of join pain, but hopefully the medicine will help with that.

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Sysy92)

Hi Sysy,

I'm glad you got a diagnosis and that you were started on medication. Hoping that treatment is very effective since you went in early. Please keep us posted in 3 days!

Rosa

Sysy92 (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Hi rosa!

I'm not tolerating this antibiotic very well. It has been giving me nausea and vomitting. I am allergic to cipro,sulfa, and nitrofurant monohys. Could there be any other antibiotics I can take wiith less side effects?
I am on doxycicline twice a day,100 mg for 10 days.

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Sysy92)

Sysy,

Nausea and Vomiting are normal side effects of antibiotics but If you are allergic to Sulfites, please call your doctor to change your prescription. It may also help to take all antibiotics with some food to reduce the n/v. 

Rosa

Sysy92 (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Hi Rosa,
I have not heard back from the doctor yet.
However, the swelling around my tick bite expanded, and it now looks like there is a hole in my leg. And it was very red all around it again. I haven't scratched it at all, so i dont see how this could've happened. it's hurting again too.

fourbluesixpink (reply to Sysy92)

I just ran into this post. How did things come out for you? It's been about 8 months since this happened - I'm just wondering how you are doing now? Was it Lyme's? Were they able to give you a different antibiotic that helped more?

Julie

Sysy92 (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Hi Rosa,
They said they won't have anything till friday, and now ive developed a red ring and a rash on my shoulder near my neck. I'm going to a walk-in clinic in about an hour. I will let you know.

Dear Sysy,

What color was the tick?

These two links are pictures of the ticks to help you identify whether or not it could be a deer tick. 

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/image?imageKey=PI%2F18578&topicKey=PI%2F4017&source=see_link&utdPopup=true

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/image?imageKey=PI%2F18469&topicKey=PI%2F4017&source=see_link&utdPopup=true

Symptoms of Lyme Disease include: 

• Rash.A few days to a month before you have other symptoms, a small, red bump may appear at the site of the tick bite. Over the next few days, the redness expands, forming a rash in a bull's-eye pattern, with a red outer ring surrounding a clear area. The rash, called erythema migrans, is one of the hallmarks of Lyme disease. Some people develop several of these rashes, an indication of bacteria multiplying in the blood stream.
  • Flu-like symptoms.Fever, chills, fatigue, body aches and a headache may accompany the rash.
  • Migratory joint pain.If the infection is not treated, you may develop bouts of severe joint pain and swelling several weeks to months after you're infected. Your knees are especially likely to be affected, but the pain can shift from one joint to another.
  • Neurological problems.In some cases, inflammation of the membranes surrounding your brain (meningitis), temporary paralysis of one side of your face (Bell's palsy), numbness or weakness in your limbs, and impaired muscle movement may occur weeks, months or even years after an untreated infection.
  • Less common signs and symptoms.Some people may experience heart problems — such as an irregular heartbeat — several weeks after infection, but this rarely lasts more than a few days or weeks. Eye inflammation, hepatitis and severe fatigue are possible as well.

Although right now your bite appears to be a red bump, if it is a deer tick bite, it will expand to look like a bulls-eye. I would advise you not to wait until that happens and please go see your doctor immediately as Lyme Disease treatment is most effective when started immediately. 

Keep us posted,

Rosa

Sysy92 (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

It was definitely a deer tick. I had my bf and my bfs mom (whom is staying with us), look at the tick..and it was a deer tick.
I wonder if it could have been there a while and I had just noticed it last night because of the pain. Its very black in the center, and it's starting to swell.
I will call my doctor, and keep you updated!

Thanks rosa

P.s. This is a better picture of it today.
http://tinypic.com/r/rkzij9/5