Vitiligo, and a skin "rash"

By Anonymous December 5, 2010 - 8:29am

I have vitiligo extensively on my legs. For about a year, I underwent the "light therapy", but it didn't help. Now, for over a year and a half, I suffer from a terrible swollen, red, extrememly itchy "rash" that breaks out on the areas only where I have vitiligo, usually in sores. The dermatologist says I have exposed my legs to too much sun, but this past summer, I wore pants religiously, and I still have this terrible looking rash that's painful and itches uncontrollably. Tried cortisone creams, and it helps a little, but nothing will "cure" it. Has anyone else had this problem?

There are several different treatments available for vitiligo. It all depends on the severity of your vitiligo: treatments such as topical ointments,
Psoralen photochemotherapy (which is an ultraviolet treatment option)
Topical psoralen photochemotherapy (used for people who have small patches in areas)
Oral psoralen photochemotherapy (this is used for severe cases)
For more information about each treatment option please see the full descriptions from Medicine Net here
Has you received any other treatments besides only topical treatments? Have you been back to your
physician for other possible treatment options?

Thanks for your question.