Volunteer Ideas for 2 Year Old with Mom?

I have always been a big advocate of volunteering my time to help others, and am wondering if any of you have ideas for an organization, a "cause" or a volunteer opportunity/event that I can begin doing with my son when he turns two? (if that is too young, any ideas for when he is a little older?)

I've participated in a few charity 5Ks with him in the stroller, but would like to get him involved and started early with volunteering (even if it is just once a month or once a year) until he is older and is able to verbally express his interest in a particular organization or "cause".

That is such a great idea! It particularly "hits home" for me, as both my and my husband's grandparents have already passed away, so our son does not have the benefit of great-grandparents, or being around anyone over the age of 65 years. This would be great for him...and myself as well!

Several years ago I learned that some assisted living communities opened their homes to children and animals because they lifted the moods of the residents.

Sometimes children would visit in groups and sing children's songs or perform simple dances. This usually occured around the lunch hour as many people were out of their rooms. Some characters live in these homes and have a million stories to share but sometimes not a lot of people to share them with. Maybe you could connect with one of the communities in your area.