Weight during period?

By November 14, 2009 - 8:24am

I have been told that when a woman gets her period it affects her weight. I want to know your thoughts about this, is this going to really affect my weight?

Thank you for your question. I agree with Susan that it depends on each woman. Although, I tend to feel as if an elephant is riding my back when I am on my period. My shoulders fell weighed down, my legs feel as if I am wearing cement shoes, etc.

Sometimes I think it is in our heads too. I know mine is since I weighed myself but there are others that do actually gain weight. Hope that helps. Tell the elephants to move.

Hi Miranda

Some women (not all) find that they retain water in the days coming up to their period but they lose it again soon after. In general, a woman's body can fluctuate a few pounds throughout her monthly cycle but it will not affect your weight in the sense that you'll get bigger or that it could be a health issue. It just means that your skinny jeans might be a little hard to fit into a few days per month.

How old are you? Have you not started your periods yet and are worried that weight gain will be an issue?