Weird Symptoms, any idea??

By November 4, 2011 - 12:03pm

For several months I have noticed 'pins and needles' in the tips of my fingers on the left hand, sometimes when I lie down and sometimes when I'm typing. It started off very slight so I wasn't even sure if I imagined it or not.
Just recently it has got much worse (both hands, whole hands and sometimes toes). My heart seems to change the way it beats and when that happens I get this really weird sensation that spreads over my whole body, ending with strong pins and needles and numbness in the hands and sometimes toes. My chest feels tight and I feel the need to take a deep breath, then the weird symptoms go away. It mostly happens at night when I'm lying down (happens several times a night) but sometimes in the day too.

If I'm typing I get the numb fingers and one time I was making coffee and when I went to pick up the kettle I got it again and I couldn't grip the kettle for a few seconds.

I don't think it's the medication as it started before I was on it (codeine and a muscle relaxant). I have been taking ibuprofen for a long while but I doubt it would be that? That's a mild drug.

I have asked the doctor, he doesn't know and says it's either a panic attack or my imagination but it is neither, I am not panicked or imagining it. Any ideas? My spine is twisted, could that be it?

I think an evaluation with a neurologist is a very smart move. Do mention your cardiac symptoms, since they preceded the peripheral numbness and tingling. The neurologist may recommend a cardiac evaluation by a cardiologist. Hope you get a definitive answer. Wishing you the best. MaryannNovember 7, 2011 - 6:36am
Hi Joanna, When you mention that your spine is twisted, do you suffer from a curvature of the spine? Is it scoliosis or kyphosisi? The curvature, which can worsen over time, may be causing an impingement on peripheral nerves. This may explain the numbness and tingling sensation in your hands, fingers and toes. The sensation of a change in heart rhythm and chest tightening may be a panic response to the feeling of numbness and tingling in your extremities. I suggest that make an appointment to be evaluated by a neurologist. Nerve conduction studies may be recommended. Hopefully, the cause of your symptoms can be identified. I don't think you are imagining this. MaryannNovember 4, 2011 - 4:36pm
(reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Hi, I have cerebral palsy (was premie baby) and osteoarthritis which is a side-effect of the CP.  I have a twisted left leg and have been walking with it turned inward since age 14 which has wrecked my hip, hence the osteoarthritis.  I think it has also twisted my spine because I had back pain for months and I felt as if I was twisted sideways when sitting and lying down and could not 'un-twist' myself, if that makes sense.  Then when I was in hospital having a hip injection the physical therapist told me the spine is slightly curved, he said scoliosis but only mild.

The heart issue comes first, followed by the numbness, so I don't think I'm panicking but I do sometimes panic at the heart sensation because it just feels so very odd.

I have an appointment with a physical therapist and a neurologist soon so I can ask them.  I don't ant to go back to the family doctor as he was a bit dismissive of me.