Went for my annual pap & HPV came back positive.

By January 12, 2011 - 1:38pm

My 2008 and 2009 HPV tests have come back negative. And thus far, have no problem with my paps. Now in December 2010, my HPV test came back positive for high risk HPV. I'm totally devastated. My Doctor says that I got HPV between my last HPV test and now. I have been with the same man for the past 5 years, no one else, sexually or otherwise. My Medical Doctor as well as Gyno says it is in the high 90 percentile that he has been with another woman and passed it on to me since my tests were negative for the past two years until now. Are they correct? I have since thrown this man out of my home and life. He swears he has not been with anyone but me. My Doctor also told me that he will probably take it to his grave. Can a urologist (spelling??) give him any type of test? AND, both my Doctor's say to come back in 6 months instead of waiting a year. I've read your site and the information is reassuring. Again, my paps are not showing any concern right now, but reading others, shouldn't they give me a more intensive test to be sure? Again, could it be possible that it was laying dormant for so many years and showing up negative?

Hi Ana,

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry to read about your diagnosis.

Firstly, there is no test for HPV in males, unfortunately. Therefore doctors assume the numbers are similar to those seen in women; 80% of sexually active men will be exposed to the virus.

HPV may have remained dormant in your system for the past two years and something like a compromised immune system could allow it to rear it's head again. Has this been the case with you? Have you been sick or run down in the past few months?

Your doctor is also right in that the new diagnosis may have come from your boyfriend cheating. Most men won't admit to cheating so his denials don't really mean anything. But you have thrown him out so in some way, you believe that he did in fact cheat, is that correct?

I am not understanding why you say at the end that your paps are not showing any concern right now but in the beginning you say you just got diagnosed with high risk HPV? Which is it? If you have high risk HPV then you will need to be closely monitored and perhaps need treatment (like a Colposcopy). You can read more about that here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/colposcopy

Please let us know if we can help you more or if you'd like to add a few more details - we'll be here!

No, nothing worse than the stress of going through a divorce in 2005/06. A mere sniffel or head cold that last no more than 2 days each winter. I'm asking if my doctors are wrong in waiting 6 months to see me again? On my test result sheet it says in the Interpretation section: NEGATIVE FOR INTRAEPITHELIAL LESION OR MALIGNANCY. Additional Finding: Coccobacilli (finished taking antibiotic) Cytotechnologist: RJH, CT (ASCP) LMP: HPV High Risk types 16,18,31,33,35,39,45,51,52,56,58,59,or 68) may be associated with precancerous lesions or cancer of the Cervix. Should I not be recommended in having a more extensive test done earlier than 6 months just to be sure?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Ana)

Hi Ana

I don't interpret medical reports as I am not a medical professional but if your result indicate there are links to pre-cancer or actual cancer of the survey (which it does) then your doctor needs to sit down with you and answer your questions.

It seems that right now she wants to see you in 6 months, is that correct? Is so, place a call asking her why the 6 month wait is allowed and that you are concerned about the information on your test sheet. Make sure to advocate for yourself! Your doctor may have good reasons to believe a waiting period of 6 months is fine but if you have concerns, you need to speak up and I encourage you to do so!

How do you feel about it all?

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Guide