What are the best vegetables to eat for iron?

By Anonymous March 30, 2016 - 10:06am

I have low iron. When I looked at foods that could help me, I didn't see a lot of vegetables. Do you know of some veggies that I can enjoy that could also help raise my iron levels?

Iron is important to the diet and the good news is that there are lots of vegetables out there that can supply iron.

Here is a list of vegetables (and vegetarian foods) high in iron:

Leafy green vegetables like broccoli, cabbage and spinach (Popeye was strong for a reason!) Also, asparagus, leeks, green onions (scallions) and arugula.

Raisins and figs are wonderful.

Tofu, soy (veggie burgers made with soy are a great source!)
Beans, beans and more beans - navy beans, soy beans, lima beans, pinto beans and lentils.

Nuts are a good source too - walnuts, almonds and sunflower seeds.

For fruit - try mulberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries.

Also, don't forget a lot of breakfast cereals and breads are fortified with iron. Check the labels carefully so you can pick one you like. I know that Bran Flakes are very high in iron.

You can also make your own granola or get some at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

Read more here about why iron is so important here: http://www.empowher.com/anemia/content/5-reasons-iron-important-your-whole-body

I hope this helps!

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide