What are shin splints? How can I avoid them?

By HERWriter March 14, 2016 - 4:35pm

I notice that I get shin splints but I never knew what they really were. What does it mean when I get shin splints and what can I do to avoid them?

Hi Kyley Jameison

I have had shin splints myself (from speed walking and tennis) and they can be quite uncomfortable!

Generically speaking, shin splints refer to any pain in the lower, front part of the leg. More accurately, however, true shin splints occur at the front inside of the shin bone and can stem from a host of causes, the most common of which is the inflammation of the sheath surrounding the shin bone, also known as periostium of the tibia.

Most of the contributing factors to shin splints are biomechanical in nature. Shin splints can be caused by overpronation or oversupination of the feet, as well as decreased flexibility of the ankle joint. Inadequate footwear, increasing your level of training too quickly, or running on hard surfaces can cause shin splints.

Symptoms of shin splints include pain over the inside lower half of the shin, pain at the beginning of an exercise session that subsides as the exercising continues, the return of pain after exercising that may be noticeably more intense the following day, some swelling, the presence of lumps and bumps that can be felt when touching the inside of the shin bone, pain when the toes or foot are bent downwards, and possibly a redness over the inside of the shin.

No matter what your level of fitness or exercise goals, the treatment options for fitness are designed to allow you to get the necessary rest so you can be up and on the go as quickly as possible.

Obviously, proper rest to allow the injury to heal is necessary. Cold packs or ice can reduce the pain and swelling. Work on stretching the lower leg muscles, most notably the tibialis posterior. Be sure to wear shock-absorbing insoles in shoes.

You can continue with your fitness regimen through other avenues, such as cycling, swimming, or running in water. Heat therapy can also work, which will allow for the blood vessels to dilate and stimulate the flow of blood to promote healing. If necessary, consult a specialist at a sports injury clinic for treatment and rehabilitation.

You can read more here: http://www.empowher.com/stress-fractures/content/how-prevent-shin-splints

I hope you feel better soon!

Stress Fractures

Stress Fractures Guide