What are some natural cold remedies for kids?

By October 3, 2008 - 7:55am

With the news that the FDA wants to study or, perhaps, recall cold remedies for children, I'm wondering if there are moms who have had success with natural remedies?

(Other than chicken soup, of course, which is always on my list!)

Since we're back to school now and headed into the winter, any natural and safe remedies for runny noses, sniffles, coughs and congestion would be very much appreciated.

I think we're better to focus on prevention, rather than cures, when it comes to our kids and colds.

But once the colds arrive (and they will, no matter how we try to stop them!) there are ways to make our kids more comfortable. Hot meals and drinks (like chicken soup!) are good to open up the sinuses and air passages and help our kids breath more easily and can act as an anti-inflammatory agent, although don't actually do anything much more to cure a cold.

A healthy diet and plenty of vitamin C can help prevent colds. Hand washing is key, as is disinfecting toys after a playdate, door knobs and shopping carts - and a humidifier in your home can help too because colds love that dry air!

Gargling with salt water helps relieve a sore throat.

I'm sure there are more ways so I hope some more people add in their experiences. But there is no actual cure for the common cold...except a warm bed, rest and Father Time!

By the way, I do not allow my kids any kind of cold medicine. They do not cure a cold and in my opinion can do far more harm than good. They may be able to relieve certain symptoms but I'd rather shower my sick kids with hot drinks and warm baths and cuddles on the sofa than risk cold medicine. I simply don't believe the benefits outweigh the risks.