What are some natural remedies to help cure a cough?

By HERWriter Blogger February 18, 2015 - 12:34pm

I have at tickle in my chest and a deep cough that has lasted for about a week now. Is there anything I can do to cure it naturally?

Hi Amy

I recommend getting a whole house humidifier if you can, to balance the air in the house. Clean and dust as much as you can. Do you have an open fire in your home? We do and have a log fire every night.  This was very much contributing to my coughing. We now have the fireplace glassed in (since a few days ago) - that or we were going to switch to gas. I also wash my bed sheets in hot water at least once a week and the mattress cover once a month to guard against mites. I also vacuum and dust regularly including the blinds. 

See if you can sleep on an incline or propped up slightly. 

A hot shower helps too, but it's temporary. But it's worth it. Take a hot shower twice a day if you need to.

Have a drink made of hot water, lemon, honey and cloves.  It is very soothing. Add a once ounce serving of whiskey in it on weekends. 

Drink lots of liquids, and suck on lozenges. 

I hope this helps and that you feel better soon!

HERWriter Blogger (reply to Susan Cody)

Thank you for the help, Susan!

I drank two cups of hot tea yesterday and it did wonders. Will definitely try your recommendations, especially the whiskey. ;)

Lung Conditions

Lung Conditions Guide