What are some tips for a college freshman to get better adjusted?

By HERWriter Blogger August 29, 2014 - 11:43am

My brother just started his freshman year of college on Monday. He is living in dorms and it's his first time really being away from home for a long period of time. Sometimes it can be hard to adjust as a freshman going away to college for the first time. What are some tips college freshman can use to adjust?

HERWriter Blogger

Thanks for the tips, Kristin! These are great ideas. He's definitely starting to get better adjusted to it now that classes have started and he's made more friends. 

Love the idea of a care package! Those always cheered me up whenever I was homesick at college. Skype is a great option too. It's great that you can keep in touch so easily with technology these days.

Thanks for the helpful ideas!

Hi Erin!

Thank you for sharing your question with the EmpowHER community! 

Going off to college can be a fun and exciting time for the entire family. It can also drum up insecurities and fear. It's so thoughtful that you are looking for ways to help your brother adjust. I came across a great article that has both suggestions for college students adjusting as well as the family who now feels the results of an empty nest. 

There's a lot of great tips her that you can chat with your brother about. When I went off to college, I tried to keep an open mind about making friends and still keeping in touch with my family and friends back home. As a caring sister, maybe you want to make a point to Skype with him say every Wednesday and Sunday at 6pm or be sure to send him mail once a week. I remember getting care packages from home at the college post office and it was awesome! My favorite treats, a cool mag and a note from home really eased my homesickness.

Good luck! Let me know how he's doing!

Relationships & Family

Relationships & Family Guide