What are some ways to stay fit in the office?

By June 6, 2016 - 12:01pm
Fitness related image

For the majority of my day, I am sat behind my desk and don’t really have the opportunity to walk around. I tend to eat lunch at my desk because I don’t want to go out and spend more money if I don’t have to. By the time I get home from work, I am so tired and I don’t have the energy to go on a walk or go to the gym. I just wanted to know how I can stay fit while at work.

Via pexels

Hi Lizaclark

Thanks for your question - it's a great one!

Many of us sit most of our day at work and it's important to take time for some physical exercise. One way is to take a brisk walk at lunch time. It allows you to unwind and burn a few extra calories. Walking is one of the best and easiest forms of exercise.

Another way to exercise are chair dips - these are a simple exercise that won’t be too noticeable if you have a cubicle, and they’ll strengthen your triceps and shoulders. Place your hands on the edge of your chair, or for more mobility on the edge of your desk.

Place your feet on the floor away from your chair or desk. For more mobility, let your heels rest on the floor, and for an easier workout rest on the balls of your feet.

Straighten your arms, slide your butt off of the edge of your chair or away from your desk, and lower your body downward by bending your arms until a slight stretch is felt in your chest or shoulders, or your butt touches the floor.

Raise your body by pushing upward and back to the starting position.

Doing bodyweight leg lifts in the office is dependent on how much room you have. Assuming your desk is tall enough, or you can sit next to it for a few minutes, then you’ll be just fine.

Sit in your chair and extend one leg straight out in front of you. Hold this pose for five seconds and then raise the leg a little higher up.

Hold this last pose for two seconds and then slowly return the leg to the ground. Do this to each leg about 10 times.

If this is a bit underwhelming then loop something around your leg, such as a purse or backpack. The extra weight will engage your core and leg muscles even more.

Calf raises are great to do while you chat with a client on the phone, or you’re reading a paper document. You can do them on a flat floor or with a small exercise block, plank of wood or study book.

Position your toes and the balls of your feet about shoulder-width apart. You can angle the toes straight, slightly inside or slightly outside, to work different parts of the calf muscle.

Raise your heels by extending your ankles as high as possible until you feel the calves stretch, and then lower your heels back to the floor.

Exercises to avoid wrist strain and carpel tunnel are also important. This is a simple exercise that you can do at the top of every hour to help with wrist strain. Stand up and place your hands backward on your desk or the floor. Your elbows should be pointing toward your chest.

Slowly lean on your wrists, hold the pressure for 10 to 15 seconds, and then ease out of the stretch. Repeat a few times each day.

I hope these exercises can help!

Fitness Guide