What are symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?

When I was 19 I came home from work and ate a sausage and eggs for dinner. Within an hour I was in severe pain which lasted for hours and hours. I finally vomited and my father took me to the hospital. They did a urinalysis and took an x-ray and said I had Gastritis. I started suffering with irritable bowel when I was 17, constipation being the main problem. I would have horrific cramping and sweating but then felt better after a bowel movement. I am now 49 and have been a regular drinker of wine (having 2-3 drinks every day) as I found it to be relaxing. I lost my job 2 years ago, have been depressed and have had more alcohol than I should have. Went and had an ultrasound today due to indigestion that comes and goes. When technician pressed over my pancreas, it was tender, and now I am concerned about chronic pancreatitis being the culprit. I have completely stopped drinking alcohol three weeks ago and am scared to death I have done my pancreas in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm very sorry you have lost your job, I hope you get something really soon.

Two or three glasses of wine every day should not cause much concern for your health. More than that could, but not 2-3 units a day. Generally, no more than 14 units a week are recommended for women so if you were sticking to 2 a day, you should be ok. Bear in mind a "unit" of wine is often smaller than what most people consider a glass or wine.

Alcohol does play a large part in pancreatitis.

Causes (of pancreatitis) include:

■Alcohol abuse (most common cause)
■Gallstones and other obstructions of the bile ducts
■Surgery or trauma to the pancreas
■Certain medications
■Unknown causes (approximately 15% of cases)
■Elevated blood triglyceride levels (hypertriglyceridemia)
■Infections (bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic)
■HIV infection
■Congenitally abnormal pancreas duct (pancrease divisum)
■ Complication of ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography)

Risk Factors

A risk factor is something that increases your chance of getting a disease or condition.
■Alcohol abuse
■Family history of pancreatitis
■Personal history of acute pancreatitis
■ Medications including: ◦Estrogens

■Pancreatic cancer
■Hyperlipidemia (excessive levels of fat in the blood)
■Hypercalcemia (increased calcium in the blood)
■ Viral infections, such as mumps

You can read lots more here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/pancreatitis

Are you going to schedule an appointment to check this out?

Hi Susan...

Thank you for your reply! I had bloodwork done yesterday and today I had an ultrasound. Although the tech couldn't tell me what she could see or not see, she showed me my gallbladder on the screen and said that if I had gallstones it would look a certain way, which it didn't. When she was pressing the probe on the area that contains my pancreas, it felt tender, and she said if I was feeling tenderness then there is probably something "going on" inside. Needless to say, I am scared to death now. I have had tummy problems all my life including IBS-C, Gastritis, Functional Dyspepsia, Hemorrhoids and Reflux. What sent me to my doctor this time is unusual moderate pain in my right side which is unusual as my pain has always been on the left side, upper and mid quadrant, I don't have the excrutiating pain that seems to grip people with chronic gastritis...I have more indigestion and gas which seems to be all over the place. I am trying to be positive but it's very, very difficult. I have to still find a job but am afraid if this continues I will only be abl to make it part-time. My husband is very supportive...I am so lucky! We only have 2 1/2 years left until our house is paid off but he is talking about refinancing and stretching it to 10 years which I do not want to do! I feel like I let him down. My daughter is out on her own, but my son is in college and I worry about everything with that. Thanks so much for your support. I guess I will have to sit tight, wait for the results, and keep praying this is nothing more than my IBS acting up!