What Is ASTYM?

By June 29, 2009 - 2:36pm

My doctor recommended ASTYM physical therapy to treat my Achilles's tendonitis and I was wondering if you could tell me more about the procedure. All I really know right now is that it is painful.

I had one treatment for tennis elbow of Astym. I was very painful and I have bruises that have lasted over 10 days. I would never take this treatment again. I will just wait for my elbow to heal. I showed it to a manager who asked me if I bruised easily. I don't . I don't believe in this treatment at all and wonder if people just improve because of the 6 ,or so,treatments involved because they would be better in 6 weeks anyway. When I discussed this with 2 doctors ,they advised never to do this treatment again after seeing the bruising and a little swelling after the treatment.

HERWriter Guide (reply to alec)

Hi alec

Thanks for your post; I have both tennis and golf elbow and it's terribly painful. I need to go back into occupational therapy again so it's good to read your experience. 

You also bring up a good point that perhaps Astym "works" by the mere fact that the patient is recovering during this time anyway. 

I'm sorry you were injured during your treatment. 

I've had my first three treatments for elbow pain that's been chronic and limited by activities for years, following many other treatments that eased pain, but did not improve my arms furthers. The treatment has been astonishingly successful so far, and I'm eager to continue to completion (6-9 visits.) It is painful very briefly during the treatment, but the bruising was minimal (even over an old incision on top of bone) and the pain abates as soon as they move to another area. The pain is so temporary and the results are so good that it's easily worth it to me.

Thank you for this information susanc.
I recognize their website contains some great information as well, but do you, or any others, know of any additional non-biased research provided about this treatment? This information will also be very helpful when advocating for myself.

Thank You!

Hi Shannon

I'm sorry you are still dealing with all this!

ASTYM stands for 'Augmented Soft-Tissue Manipulation' and the average ASTYM program per patient lasts about 6 weeks. A lot of emphasis is on deep tissue massage to help with scar tissue. I think this is what might be a bit painful, especially if the area is painful or sensitive in the first place. It also works to repair tendons.

There is a website devoted to this very procedure. You can find it at www.ASTYM.com

I hope this info help and if you do this treatment, I hope it works!