Breathing Conditions

Breathing Conditions Guide

ask: What is the basic rule for using oxygen?

By treecookie

Which is best? Use o2 only when o2 level gets below 90% or just use it periodically
through out the day regardless of the level. If I use the o2 it may only take a few minutes to be above the 90% level. Is there some rule I should follow? Thanks, Karl

lioness111

Treecookie, I was so glad to find out that you were obtaining care at the Medical Center. Please continue giving us updates. I am doing just fine and getting a little bit better every day. I know that these stiches could come out anytime now, they are really getting tight. Hang in there with the oxygen at night--it will get better. Sincerely, Lioness111

lioness111

Hi Karl, In answer to your question about having trouble sleeping with oxygen, I have not had that problem.
It makes me wonder what kind of equipment ou are using. I have an oxygen consentrater machine that I
use with 50 feet of hose and a nasal canula that goes in the nose and rope over the years. It is really very
comfortable and allows me to go anywhere in my house and out on the patio or the front porch. When I go
somewhere I have a portable machine that you fill with frozen oxygen. I am so glad that you are going to
the Medical Center and I am confident you will find a good Doctor who will help you with everything. Be
sure to let us all know the outcome. Thanks for putting me in your prayers! I can really use them. Sincerely,
Lioness111.

treecookie (reply to lioness111)

Hello lioness111, I just wanted to let you know I finally was able to fall asleep on the oxygen and I just hope I can do it again tonight. I think I am using the same concentrator as you have for use indoors but I have been using the small bottles and putting one in a backpack to work outside. It will only last for 2 to 3 hours so I think I will get the bigger tank on wheels to use for outside work and won't have to wear the backpack. I am not aware of using frozen oxygen so I will have to look that one up on the computer. We have done the paperwork for the Medical Center and if the referring Dr did his paperwork I hope to hear from them tomorrow. You are in our prayers so keep getting better each day! Take care now. Sincerely, Karl

lioness111

Hello Karl, I am Lioness111., and I have quite a few years of oxygen usage experience. I have severe cardiomyopathy-the left ventricle operates around 35%. And I just had lung surgery for cancer. The advice that Susans right on the money. If I were you, I would hurry and get myself a new doctor, the
best would be a Pulmonary - Thoracic Specialist. If by any chance you live close to a University Medical School that is affiliated with a Major Medical Center, just call and they will refer you to the proper department and give you a referral to the Doctor that specializes in treatment for your condition. Just
olne thing, wear your oxygen 24/7 at 2 to 3 liters, until you get to a Doctor. You only have one pair of
lungs and they deserve the best care possible;.I will put you in my prayers, Karl-take care. Sincerely, Lioness111

treecookie (reply to lioness111)

Hello Lioness111, Thank you for your help and information. I just answered Susan and told her I am fortunate that we live where there is a large University Medical Center and we will proceed to get a second opinion and a new Dr. Also I am using the oxygen as much as possible but still can't sleep with the oxygen on. After 3+ hours of trying I shut the oxygen off and get some sleep and try again later in the am. Did you ever experience any problem sleeping with the oxygen on? I hate to do it but wearing myself out is the only way i can sleep and have oxygen at the same time. This doesn't sound like the correct answer to me! Thanks again for your help and prayers for me. You will be in my prayers also! Take care. Sincerely, Karl

Anonymous (reply to treecookie)

I was just going to let you know. That I only 46 years old having been using mine for a year and a half. But, I also found out that I have obstructive sleep apnea. If I use my oxygen at night then my body does not need any during the day. My numbers drop at night but they stay above 90% all day. Which was really wonderful for me. If you are having trouble sleeping with yours. YOu might try changing to a different nasal canula. They have all kinds. I started out having to use a pediatric canula. I now use the 1800 or 1820 series. They are very soft. And, if you run them under hot water for when they are new to kinda loosen them up a bit. Its much easier to sleep with the canula. I don't even know mine is on anymore..Good Luck...Rita from Alabama

Hi again, Karl.

Thanks for more info.

The oxygen company has to show you the functions of the oxygen device but your doctor should be the only to really explain things to you in terms of recognizing when you need to use it and when is ok to take a break. . It's sounds like he's a little too casual for my liking, especially since he obviously has not been clear.

Karl, an oxygen level of 83 is dangerous and can damage your heart. Anything under 92 is worrisome and 83 is very troubling.

The medications that you are taking are not prescribed for you by your doctor? Have you made sure that there are no contraindications between the three? Even "natural" products should be cleared or investigated, to make sure they don't do more harm than good.

Karl, if you are dropping into the 80s in the am on a consistent basis , then you probably need to be on your machine a lot more than you are. Even if you feel ok, your levels could drop so slow you could become unable to help yourself. Do you have a caregiver with you or family members?

We cannot give any kind of medical advice, of course, but I do think that your levels are troublesome and indicate more use of your oxygen machine is needed. If you can't see you doctor till June 4th, you can definitely put a call in and explain your concerns.

Tell me what you think about this - will you put a call in?

treecookie (reply to Susan Cody)

Hello Susan, Thank you for all the good information, This is the kind of information that I felt my Dr. should have given me since this is all new to me. I am fortunate that we are located where there is a university medical center and we will go there tomorrow and hopefully get a second opinion. Also I am blessed with having a great wife that is really taking excellent care of me. Since I received your reply I have been using the oxygen as much as plossible but still have trouble sleeping with the oxygen. After 3 + hours of trying I usually stop the Oxygen and get some good sleep and try the oxygen again earlier in the am. I am doing deep breaths and as many step-ups as possible to wear me out but I am still too wide awake to sleep. Thanks again for all your help! It is appreciated. Karl

Hi Karl

We need more information from you!

Why do you need the oxygen - what condition do you have?

Some people are on oxygen all day, others do quite well with smaller sessions at times where they need it, based on their level of comfort and breathing abilities.

What has your doctor recommended in terms of using the O2 machine? Any rules involved with pertain to your individial needs as there is no general rule about oxygen use (aside from safety issues).

Please update us!

treecookie (reply to Susan Cody)

Hello Susan, Thanks for the quick response! I am a 77 year old man who thought he was pretty good shape but on April 15 I was told I had idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. I was given a recorder to confirm my oxygen level and told to use oxygen at least all night and during the day as needed. I purchased an oximeter and found that if I only use oxygen when the level drops to below 90 it would only be required for a short time two or three times a day. The Dr really never gave me any directions and said the oxygen people would tell me what to do, but they don't give exact info, just general. I have a big problem using oxygen all night as I just can't fall asleep so I check myself and it ends up I drop into the 80's level early in the AM and use oxygen for 40 minutes or so. When I work outside during the day I check myself every 30 minutes or so and if I need recxharging I go get recharged for 15 or 20 minutes. I would really be miserable if I hadn't purchased the oximeter. The lowerst reading I have seen so far is 83. I dont see the Dr again till June 4th and just feel I am on a "do it yourself and see what happens" medication. The Dr didn't recommend it but I take NAC, Saracore NK and napolea and just hope for for the best. I don't feel that bad and hope I am not doing anything that won't help but I just don't know for sure. Any help that you can give me will be throughly appreciated. Thanks again. Karl