What is the best help for depression?

I cannot turn off the hoplessness feelings I have. The crying is unreal. I have a hard time talking to drs. about my problems always thinking do they really care?

Hi Anonymous

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to read that you're going through a depression that you feel you can't get out of.

In terms of the best way to treat depression, many will say that a combination of drug and talk therapy is the best option. However, medication is not always necessary if your depression is environmentally caused like a death or breakup. Feelings of depression in these cases are normal and natural and don't necessarily need a drug intervention - rather they need support, talk therapy and a healthy diet/exercise regime.

But if you are suffering a chemical imbalance, medication may help and often does.

With regard to your doctor - make sure you are as specific as possible about how you are feeling. Doctors sometimes hear from patients about their feelings of being down but patients then tend to downplay what's going on. Explain how bad you're really feeling and make sure to request a referral to a doctor who can help and a therapist who can provide the counseling you need to find what's going on to make you feel like you do -and help you find the tools to cope, and ultimately heal. If your doctor is a general doctor, he or she may not be the best person to help you but he/she will know someone who is.

Let me know what you think of my suggestions and if I can help you further. And please know that we are help to help you and support you in any way.