What is the best natural way to get enough Vitamin D?

I have just finished 8 months of chemotherapy. My Vitamin D levels continued to decrease. My Dr. has now prescribed 50,000 units of Vitamin D in a pill. My problem is that while I was on chemo I developed thrush in my mouth. At its worst, it also spread to my esophagus. I was unable to swallow anything but thin liquids for a week and nearly choked to death trying to take my medication. Since then, I nearly have a panic attack when anyone suggests that I take a pill. I know it is all in my mind, but I cannot seem to get past that fear. Are there any natural ways I can pursue to help me bring my D levels up without taking a pill? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Beth DeBoni

Thank you for responding so quickly! I do live where I can normally get sun daily. However, we are now experiencing a very cool and wet spring. I keep hoping for the sun, but so far it is eluding me. I will keep trying.

Hi Beth

Thank you for your post and I am glad you are finished with chemo but very sorry to read about your thrush, which can be an awful condition to have to deal with.

The best natural way to get Vitamin D is the sun. Now obviously there are dangers in getting too much sun but 15-20 minutes a day of sun exposure (especially on the face, according to my doctor) can give you all the Vitamin D your body needs.

After than you should wear sunscreen.

Are you in a climate where you can get out into the sun?

Also, since most foods don't contain vitamin D, buy foods fortified with vitamin D like orange juice and milk an some foods do contain some like salmon, tuna, eggs (with the yolk) beef and liver.

Let me know what you think and we hope to hear back from you!

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide