What is the best way to help cure insomnia?

By June 25, 2014 - 12:49pm

I have such a hard time sleeping. It seems like I am tired during the day then once I lay down, bam! My mind starts thinking and racing about this and that next thing I know 3 hours have passed and I'm still awake. I hate to say that I take something to sleep every night but I do. Is there anything I can do to ease my mind and sleep without any medication? 

Hi Ali

I suffered chronic insomnia for about 5 years before seeking proper help and I am on medications now and feeling great! 

The first thing you need to focus on is why you are suffering insomnia. Do you think you may have some kind of imbalance? My insomnia was very serious and caused great health problems. If this is the case with you, then you really do need to seek medical advice. 

If your insomnia is more environmental - busy schedule, lots of thoughts popping up in your head, late night activities or exercise, then you probably won't need any meds at all which I know is your goal. 

Good sleep is called "sleep hygiene".  Evaluate your sleep routine. You should:

Sleep in a very dark, cool room.

No TV, radio (except white noise) or other media should be on while you prepare to sleep and certainly not all night. 

Your sheets should be washed every week and don't use heavy covers unless you are in a really cold climate. A cool room is much better for sleeping. 

Also evaluate your evening routine. As much as you can help it, don't exercise after 8pm. It gets your adrenalin pumping and it's hard to wind down. If you work later in the evening, wind down by about 8pm too. Your body and mind need a rest and you won't do yourself any favors by lots of activity. Take a stroll, watch a little TV or read a book. We all need downtime! 

An evening bath can relax both body and brain so try this. Also remember to chat to family and friends about your day so that you don't have all that internal chatter in bed! Write a plan out for your next day - just a few pointers - and have your outfit ready. That will help ease the mental chatter about future, short-term plans, something that keeps a lot of people up.

And finally, use a fan or noise machine if that helps to drown out noise and your own mental chatter!  It works for me. 

I write an article on good sleep recently - you can check it out here: 

Does this help you, Ali?

Insomnia Guide