What is better for stress relief?

By July 10, 2008 - 10:44am

A survey of 3000 women by Meredith Corporation and NBC Universal, two of the nation's leading media companies revealed that three in ten women in committed relationships say they would chose a good glass of wine over sex with their husband for stress relief. What would you choose?

I am not in agreement, and probably will never be. What I learned in college about sex I wouldn't share, either. What I learned in life about sex is my business.

Frankly, I think our society is oversexed and puts far too much emphasis on it - and it's not a matter of procreation, but recreation. This is my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. I may be a human animal, but my life isn't ruled solely by animal instincts. Whatever happened to romance?

I learned in college that sex is for two main purposes - procreation and stress relief so I am a big believer in sex being for stress relief. I think all creatures - human and animal have sex for both purposes. I think we are biologically inclined towards 'using' sex for stress relief, it is there to serve that purpose.

Is 'both' an option?

Great sex with a nice cold Chardonnay after. I'm greedy.

Well, first, let me say that, as a native Californian and aspiring sommelier, there's no way I would refuse a glass of wine. The wine can't expect anything in return.

Personally, I don't think it's fair to use sex as a stress relief. I don't appreciate my husband using me that way, so I just don't go there. This is already too much information, haha!

Given the choice of sex/intimacy or glass of wine...it was a difficult decision, so I consulted the research: which has the best health benefits?

Glass of Wine:
+ Lowers risk of heart disease
+ Lowers risk of some cancers
+ Includes beneficial phytochemicals, flavanoids and resveratrol
+ Increases good cholesterol (HDL)
- Caloric intake: between 120-270 calories per glass

+ Good for cardiovascular health as well!
+ Increase antibodies
+ Increase endorphins and coricosteriods
+ Decreases stress hormones in body
+ Create emotional connectedness with partner
+ Expend calories: approx. 200 calories per hour, in fact
- How to put the negative aspect: possible...frustration?!

With all of these health benefits, plus one activity increases your caloric intake; the other you expend calories...so the logical conclusion is: do both!

Anxiety Guide