What is calcific bursitis

By Anonymous December 12, 2009 - 9:47am

I have had sholder pain for about a month now and was extremely concerned as I had gotten the swine flu shot in the same area. I went to my doctor who had requested some xrays of my arm. The result is calcification of the bursa sack in my sholder. So my questions are......what exactly is it, does it ever go away and is there any kind of physical therapy to fix it? if anyone knows please respond.

Dear Anon

Thanks so much for your question and sorry for your pain - that's not a good thing.

Calcific bursistis is an inflamed bursa (the bursa is a small sac that cushions our tissues) and calcification (calcium deposits) occur. Repetitive motion can cause it, or something unknown.

As is with your case, this condition is seen mostly in the shoulder.

Physical therapy is your best bet, possibly along with medication (that your doctor can discuss with you, depending on your individual case) or you could consider a cortisone shot. With these options, they should see you back to rights within a few months. Surgery is also an option (to remove the inflamed bursa) but this is in extreme cases. Some good physical therapy and the option of medication is probably your best bet and with most healthy people, it can go away or they can live with the resulting minor inflammation or calcification without even noticing it.

To take a natural route - consider acupuncture - it can be quite effective with this condition. Hydrotherapy also helps - do you have access to a hot tub or spa?

Modify your diet. Include ginger in your diet. Consider eating foods that have anti-inflammatory properties. These include:

Pineapples, apples, green peppers and tomatoes, spinach, kale and onions. Whole grains are also a good idea and take Omega 3 fatty acids (found in fish or flax seed). Walnuts also have anti-inflammatory properties.

Does this information help you, Anon?