Q: 

What can help a pinched nerve (4th or 7th) in the neck?

By Anonymous December 22, 2009 - 6:41pm

I've been having bad pains in my right arm and neck for about 6 months. With my doctor I find out that I've pinched a nerve in my neck--I think he said it's the 4th or 7th nerve (if that matters). He prescribed me to go to physio.

Does anyone have any resources or advice to help with the pain? My doctor said that I'd need to do certain stretches and exercises to release the nerve. Do I need to go to physio, or am I able to fix the problem myself (for free) without a professional?

Anonymous

Also look into yoga that focuses on the neck. it's helped me allot!

Anonymous

Thanks for all the good advice, I'll look into these practices a bit more, I can see now that I'll most likely have to have some sort of treatment.

Anonymous

Anon,
I am sure the previous response about ESI is well intended, as your and the writer's condition is obviously quite painful. However, "pain deadening" is only a band-aid approach and does not correct the problem, which frequently manifests itself in some other way. Koren Specific Technique (KST) is not ordinary chiropractic, which the writer has obviously incurred. Patients are adjusted in a standing or sitting position, walking around or in a "position of Pain" such as riding a motorcycle, drumming or playing a violin. What ever position you incur the most pain is the position the KST physician will use to correct your misalignment. Mind you, I have nothing against pain medicines and use them myself to get thru a crisis. But, the mechanical correction is the only way to have complete recovery. Give it a try. You will know within a few treatments if it will work.

Anonymous

Anon,
I've read all the comments listed and they all talk about therapy and chiropractors and special techniques. I am going through a "pinched" nerve right now in C6-C7 in my neck. The pain you describe is exactly what I have/had. I went to a chiropractor, which i will never stoop that low again. Had the EMG test for nerve damage and X-rays and MRI. It came down to getting an ESI (Epideral Steroid Injection) 3 times in 2 week intervals. This will take the pain away immediately, maybe 2 days at worst case. Once the pain is gone - heat, neck stretching exercises are taking care of the cause. The cause is built up stress in your neck muscles or, in my case, a degenerative disc between the vertebra.
I wish you much luck because I know what you are going thru

Wow I'm going thru the same thing right now! I also went to a chiropractor and won't do it again! I'm worse off. The doctor had me on gabapentin and I still have pain, I also had an MRI only to confirm I have a pinched nerve. Now they want me to see a neurosurgeon. I'm tired of spending money, why can't the dr just give me a shot like you got! Tell me should I go to this neurosurgeon? I have exactly the same symptoms you did.

Anonymous

Anon,

Anonymous

Anon
The the most common cause of your cervical pain is a misalignment of the spinal segments. While physio probably is necessary to retrain the affected muscles, you should first correct the mechanical problem, i.e. the misalignment of the spine. Most chiropractors can do this for you quite quickly. However, their is a chiropractic technique which is more comfortable than the traditional "neck twist" practiced by old school chiropractic. It is called Koren Specific Technique (KST), which is quite comfortable, yet very powerful. It requires no neck twisting and is done by a low force instrument that specifically corrects each neck segment to permit the pressure on the nerve to be relieved. Then with minimal physio and some good muscular stretches, you are quickly back to normal. I would definitely try this before other invasive techniques. Go to www.teddkorenseminars.com and consult their doctor directory to find a KST chiropractor near you. I know there is one doctor in South Scottsdale who mentor's other doctors in this technique.

Tags:

Fitness

Fitness Guide