What can I do to manage my thick, curly, hair?

By Anonymous February 2, 2015 - 12:45pm

I want to manage my hair without heat styling as much! please help. 

Thanks for this great question! 

I have fine, curly hair and plenty of it so I understand that we have special needs! 

Hair like ours tends to be dryer than our straighter haired friends.  Shampooing every other day instead of every day is a good idea so that you don't strip your hair of moisture and use a natural shampoo if you can or at least one without dyes or parabens or scents.  

Speaking of moisture, use a rich conditioner (again minus as many additives as you can) in order to keep your hair from drying out.  

For your curls, try to let your hair air dry if you can and use product that guards against frizz but keeps the natural body that curly hair usually has.  Avoid dying your hair if you can or use chemical free dyes - you can find them at stores like the Body Shop (along with organic shampoos and conditioners that won't break the bank and you'll be supporting small business that pay their workers well).  

If you need to end your styling with heat, do it when you hair is nearly dry so that you aren't doing it for too long and use low heat. 

You can also do a weekly pack for your hair using organic olive oil or a good coconut oil - both should contain nothing but oil - find them at the baking section, not the hair section. These kinds of oils in the hair section are filled with unnecessary ingredients.  You can also use a hair pack made with mayonnaise, natural yogurt or eggs. It's a little messy but just gently massage any of the above into your hair, wrap for at least 30 minutes and shampoo-rinse well. If using eggs (whip them gently and apply) shampoo and rinse in warm water, not hot. 

A sunhat will also lessen damage. 

I hope this information helps you!