What causes an abscess? Do they require a root canal every time?

By October 28, 2014 - 10:27am

Hi Ali,

Thank you so much for sharing your question with the EmpowHER community! No matter how well I brush and floss and eat a healthy diet, I am very prone to dental issues and have to keep on top of my oral health knowledge the best I can. 

Many things can cause an abscess- for example poor dental hygiene, malnutrition, including severe vitamin and mineral deficiencies and or build up of tartar or calculus beneath the gum line.

Most of the time, a root canal is the main treatment, however the dentist can either do a root canal or extract the tooth along with administering an antibiotic. Check out treatment options from the EmpowHER community.

Ali, did this answer your question?

Abscessed Tooth