What causes my ears to "thud" when I see bright flashing lights such as lightning?

I hear a thud in both my ears when I see a flash of light. I don't have to be looking at it straight on. It happens when I see lightning, flashing lights, when I change the channel on the tv (in the dark). It's not painful, just annoying.

That happens to me too. I've asked different doctors about it and the look at me like I'm crazy. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Would love to find an answer.

That's a really interesting issue you have there (not to mention a bit annoying)!.

I'm wondering if there is an issue with your nerves. We have nerves throughout our body, but nerves in the upper spine affect our eyes and ears, among other parts of our bodies.

The nerves in the second vertebrae of our spines connect to our eyes and auditory nerves. These nerves may be causing a kind of cross-communication when sending messages to the brain. So when you see bright lights, somehow an incorrect message is being sent to the brain which then causes the ears to hear that thud you mentioned.

This is just a thought of mine.

I have submitted your question to on of our experts so please check back - we hope to have an answer for you soon!