Brain

ask: What causes reduced brain function?

By Jenny Housh HERWriter Guide

Lately I have noticed that my brain function (thinking, speaking, reading out loud). This causes me to stumble on my words and not form complete thoughts while speaking to others. My mind seems to jump from topic to topic as well (similar to a short attention span). 

I am thinking this has something to do with a reduction in brain function (somehow?) - What information can you give me on brain function and how it can be restricted due to lifestyle changes, social interaction, etc. 

Hello Jenny,

The brain is incredibly complex. Each section of the brain is responsible for specific functions.

The cerebrum or cortex is the largest part of the human brain, associated with higher brain function such as thought and action. The cerebral cortex is divided into four sections, called "lobes": the frontal lobe, parietal lobe, occipital lobe, and temporal lobe.
Frontal Lobe- associated with reasoning, planning, parts of speech, movement, emotions, and problem solving
Parietal Lobe- associated with movement, orientation, recognition, perception of stimuli
Occipital Lobe- associated with visual processing
Temporal Lobe- associated with perception and recognition of auditory stimuli, memory, and speech

The cerebellum, or "little brain", is similar to the cerebrum in that it has two hemispheres and has a highly folded surface or cortex. This structure is associated with regulation and coordination of movement, posture, and balance.

The limbic system, often referred to as the "emotional brain", is found buried within the cerebrum. This system contains the thalamus, hypothalamus, amygdala, and hippocampus.

Th brain stem. is responsible for basic vital life functions such as breathing, heartbeat, and blood pressure.

Any damage or injury to the cortex will have a negative impact on cognitive function.

Jenny, discuss these recent noticeable changes with your physician. Testing may be necessary to determine the cause.

Regards,