What is causing my pain?

I started with some gastrointestinal issues and some pain in lower legs and hips. A little over a year after it started I could hardly roll over in bed I hurt so bad ALL over. They had put me on Cymbalta for the pain and I found out it was making me worse to the point I couldn't even get to the restroom on my own because my joints couldn't bend enough, and I couldn't even open my medicine bottle. After stopping the Cymbalta, I got movement back but was left with the pain not only in muscles (or something around them anyway), but also had joint pain (without heat and redness). During all this time since Feb. 2009, I have had several test come back not quite in the normal range but all the doctors seem to dismiss them and think they don't matter. I am unable to work and finally had to just cover up the pain (symptoms) with strong narcotics. I would so much rather get an answer to WHAT is causing all of this. I want my life back. When I had insurance, I was gong to go see a doctor at the Diagnostic center at the Mayo Clinic, but literally was just too sick to get there. I know I have thyroid problems and take sythroid, but my test are usually never normal for that. Have had high cortisol (serum) several times, but the saliva and urine levels were normal. NEED HELP!!!

I'm sorry you have been living in so much pain for so long. Your thyroid condition may certainly be causing some of your symptoms but it sounds like you may possibly have an undiagnosed auto-immune condition too.

Was it thought that you may have fibromyalgia, hence the Cymbalta? For more on this condition, click here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/fibromyalgia/definition

Have you been tested for a range of autoimmune conditions including R.A. (Rheumatoid Artritis) and Lupus? This is important to do and it's also important to remember that many tests may be needed before a diagnosis can be made.

There is also a condition called Auto-immune Thyroid Disease that you should look into. It's being seen in people more nowadays, especially in women. Read more about that here: http://www.empowher.com/hypothyroidism/content/autoimmune-thyroid-disease-rise

and this article may also help: http://www.empowher.com/thyroid-conditions/content/autoimmune-thyroid-disease-and-iodine

Please let me know what you think and remember that your journey to find better health may take more time. Please know we're here to support you and please stay in touch.

Thyroid Conditions