What condition do I have?

By December 17, 2010 - 11:54am

my symptons are :

Severe Pain
Severe Swelling
Numbness (at times)
No Radial movement
No up and down movement

This condition effects my wrists and ankles on a increasingly regular basis.

I am currently 3 weeks into an episode without use of my right wrist, and now I am experiencing the symptons in my left foot...

I previously broke my left wrist twice and my left ankle, but it effects both arms and legs.

My rheumatologist has treated me with 5 different medications at great expense, but nothing has worked.

It is seriously effecting my work, and life.

Hi ChrisGeorge727

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you're in some much pain.

Since you already have a diagnosis (is it RA that you have?) then you may be having a very bad flare right now. Arthritis Today has an article on coping with a sudden flare here: http://www.arthritistoday.org/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/self-help-for-ra/arthritis-flare.php

Do you have access to a hot tub? If so, use one and hour a day if you can or at least as often as you can.

We cannot tell you what "condition" you have (other than a possible flare) as we are not doctors and cannot evaluate you as your doctors would. But my question for you as an RA patient (and please confirm that you are) is have you experienced this kind of flare before? How long ago was your diagnosis? What has your doctor said he thinks this may be? Has lupus or another (chronic) inflammatory disease been ruled out?

Please update us when you can and again, I'm sorry you're dealing with this; it's probably even hard for you to type.

I hope to hear back from you soon and if you'd like further reading, please check out our RA page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/rheumatoid-arthritis/definition

Hi Susan:

RA has not been confirmed....

Lupus has not been suggested...

This is the 6th time since Feb (twice right wrist, once left wrist, once right ankle and twice left ankle)

I have been treated for gout, RA and sceptic RA, but none of the treatments worked. After a few days /weeks of pain it simply recovered and then went away...

This recent bout has been going on since early Nov... I went to bed fine, woke at 2 am with a dull ache in my wrist and went to my GP.. He sent me for an X-ray, and I was told that I had Athritis... but was not given any treatment... following 3 nights just sitting on the couch due to pain, I called the emergency doctor and he treated for gout and RA, giving me two different drugs.. This did not help and two days later I went to the Walk-in clinic... The doctor there game me an alternate anti-inflamitary drug which also did not help... I went to see a rheumatologist and he gave me two medications but one gave me terrible dihorrea and he told me to stop taking it....

It has now been almost 5 weeks and I have had little or no relief...

I can not twist my wrist (face up/face down) or move it up and down in a wave motion. Now I have the same pain in the middle of my foot on the top and it is swollen twice the size. I can barely weight bare now...

I am just sick of being sick.... especially since it is without warning... I am only 45 and the first episode of this happened 15 years ago... But this recent problem has really got to me...

Thanks for your help