What could be the cause of my 9 year old daugher fainting?

By February 12, 2010 - 1:22pm

She has an aversion to blood and needles so anytime she goes to the doctor she faints. She faints if we take the dog to the vet and he needs blood drawn. She fainted when I needed an x-ray of my foot. Doc tells me this is normal for her and not to worry. First time she fainted is when the teacher was reading something gorey from a book to the class. My daugher said she started to feel hot after the teacher read the passage and then just passed out. Teacher's account of situation noted that when she fainted her arm was sort of stretched out and she urinated. She came to a few seconds later and was OK. Thank goodness the teacher covered up the urine and no one even noticed. The second time she was in the auditorium. She went to school with a cold and was seated. She had just eaten lunch and said it was very hot in there. They were about a minute into watching a movie and then she felt faint. She told her friend sitting next to her to get an aid because she felt like she was going to pass out and she did for a few seconds. No urination this time but embarrassing for her none the less. Doc still thinks its nothing to be alarmed about. Made him do an EKG-thankfully it was normal. He doesn't feel it's a seizure and again, says to leave her alone. If anyone has any helpful thoughts on the matter please feel free to comment. She is seeing a neurologist in a week just to see what he suggests. Don't want to frighten her unnecessarily by putting her through tests if not warranted but I just don't know what else to do. Thanks for reading....

Dear yoga1

Thanks so much for your question and for looking out for your daughter!

Some people are more prone to fainting - especially at the sight or even thought of body fluids, blood, or anything "gory" as you mentioned. Some grow out of it, some never do. Urinating upon fainting is quite common.

I went to school with a girl who fainted a lot. During assembly time and school concerts (stuffy air) and also during vaccinations and anything concerning body fluids. I don't know if she ever got over it but she spent much of her childhood that way.

If you are looking for other ideas on what do, other potential reasons for your child fainting, or to read the experiences of other people with children in your child's position, click here : we have talked about this topic in details on our community boards : http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/when-child-faints-or-passes-out-what-could-be-cause

I'm glad you insisted on your doctors taking every precaution. I think you're doing the right thing.

Please let us know if the link I gave you helps and please keep us updated. Again, thanks for looking out for your child like this and insisting that all due care is administered, even if your doctor says nothing is wrong. He may be right but you have a mother's instinct to keep investigating this, so go with your gut.

Emotional Health

Emotional Health Guide